Monday, May 30, 2011

Holiday at Home

Hi Knitters,
We have been anxiously and cautiously watching this tiny miracle take place in our yard.
There were at least five eggs, maybe more in the nest that would fit in the palm of my hand.
Their eyes are not open yet.....
...but their mouths sure are. They have one busy mama bird who flutters in and out and sits on her babies and tidy little nest for hours on end.
This active little world is all taking place in our miniature evergreen tree. You wouldn't know by looking at it.
TC has been entertaining the baby birds with her bird whistles which I find funny. She stands next to the tree and plays her whistles.
To another springtime topic we go, I have new sandals! I love them and they are quickly becoming not so new. I am hard on things.
The flurry of activity is going on in the inside of the house, too. I am at the toe of my watermelon stripes sock.
I am almost done with my 4 oz. bump of Dyeabolical. I am hoping to get a pair of handspun socks out of this one. We'll have to see what I end up with.
TC and I have committed to cooking our way through this fantastic down-home cookbook. I have already made several recipes and they have all been a hit. I'll talk more about this book later but let's just say that TC has dog-eared about every other page to mark the recipes she wants to make. She has been baking up a storm lately along with Peachy, who is our resident brownie maker.
I started a Noro Silk Garden Sock Yarn sock in Kentucky and haven't worked on it too much since. I really love this colorway.
I pulled out my Citron in Malabrigo Lace from last summer and have knitted quite a bit further on it. A cute woman in my class in Kentucky had her Citron on and I just love her version which made me think of my unfinished version. We'll see how far I get this summer.
Garden plans and ice skates adorn my kitchen bench.
We are so excited to have a vegetable garden in our yard this summer. You know that a couple of summers ago we had around four humungous trees removed from our yard. We have only begun to have serious sunshine in our yard. Above is TC's sketch of what to plant where. She is sooooo excited about this garden project.
Here is TC's list of plants and things to get to plant.
Here are some of our choices.
We have been working so incredibly hard to get our garden spot cleared with stepping stones and a rabbit fence and the boards for borders.
Toes and gardening tools are at the ready!
TC is a gardening maniac. She dreams about her gardens and she has worked to get things ready.
Rabbits are a big problem for us so we are going to be prepared this summer.
The Fairy Garden is in full swing, too. This year it is going to be bigger and better than ever. TC will have more sunshine, a bigger corner to plant in and she wants to make some mosaic decorative stepping stones for better access to her plants. It is going to be a fun project.
The earth is good and being home is good.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, Knitters. What did you do weekend?
best, susie

19 comments:

Tina said...

I love your post Susie! I must find a copy of the Goose Berry Patch cookbook - it looks awesome. I'm tickled that all of us see to be finishing up our Citron shawls this year. I just finished mine a few weeks ago and look forward to wearing it soon. I enjoyed my weekend with a bit of knitting, spinning and gardening - it was relaxing and hope yours was too!

mountain girl said...

I love this view into your life. Full, but not in an overly busy way. I love this about the coming of warm weather - all the bursting forth of outdoor things along with the steady rhythm of the normal indoor things. Great pics!

Suze said...

Reading this post just made me feel so good. There is nothing better than working in the dirt, if you ask me. My kids love it, too!
I'm glad you are enjoying your holiday :)

LittleMissEclectic said...

Great post Susan! Where did you get those sandals? and that fairy house? Did you build it?! It's beautiful.

Stefanie said...

What a fun, happy, and awesome post! Amazing how those little baby birds are right there. You are so lucky to be able to be so close to Mother Nature like that.
That watermelon yarn is just off the charts. The citron one is bright and cheery for spring and summer.
Great sandals on your feet. The color goes so well with your skin tone.
How fun to create a veggie garden. The possibilities for it is so exciting. I can understand the "fever" TC has for it.
My ohana and I have been rundown so we've been catching up on sleep and laying low. Hubbie had to work at home all weekend and fight through his bad cold. I had a girls night out with some other mommies at one of my ultimate favorite restaurants, Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. That was a refresher for me. Brought dim sum and Derby Cake for my great aunt who's in her early 90s today.

Unknown said...

How wonderful it is to have a veggie garden. My mom plants some vegetables in her backyard in Sydney. I can't wait to move back to the sunny city to start a veggie garden of my own. Grow organic and eat organic, lead a healthy life!

Pat Salvatini said...

Such a varied post...birds, socks, sandals, cooking, gardening. The joy of life in a few well thought out words. So glad you had a good weekend.

DeliaKnits said...

this is what we did: http://bit.ly/mg8L1Z . I love all the gardening. We doubled our garden this year. Can't wait for garden fresh salad!!

KarenJ said...

Just a quick suggestion for your gardener. A little research into what plants best to what might improve overall growing conditions and reduce certain pest problems. God bless the internet!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post today - not that they all aren't, but this was full of so many different and fun things. What a precious sight of those baby birds. God's creations are marvelous! Love that beautiful little tree with its perfect shape. I'd forgotten about those bird whistles and was a bit surprised they are still making that water one. Guess you can't improve on perfection. My kids had such fun with one. Now, you know we all are going to want to know what kind of sandal that is. I have such a time finding ones I really like and are comfortable, but those look like they might fit the bill. And they would have to be pink for me, too. Might as well include the info for the ones on your feet in the photo with the garden tools, too. :-) All of the yarn colors you are using are so pretty. I like blues and greens together, so am looking forward to seeing the finished product of your weaving. It makes me feel so much better to see so many projects on your needles. I wanted so badly to knit the Welcome Baby sweater (don't know why, as I have no babies to knit for, so offered to knit it as a sample for lys)so started it this weekend even though I have several current projects that really need finishing. I did have to chuckle at the ice skates(?) on the bench.
Your garden site looks wonderful. How great for your family, TC especially, to now have the sunshine and area for such a treat. I'm so glad areas of our country had nice weather on this holiday weekend past so people could enjoy being outside no matter what the activity. Keep us posted on the progress of that garden so those of us who no longer have one can have one vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing all of these parts of your life! :-)

Google is not too cooperative in letting me post lately, so have had to go "Anonymous".....Judi A.

Sara in WI said...

Great post! It is always so nice to hear about your busy family. Thanks for sharing!
Sara

Barb said...

What a fun post! Your TC is quite the girl! (takes after her Mom, I think!)

Your baby birds reminded me of when I was quite young the girl next door wanted to show me the baby robins & their Mom in the evergreen next to our house. She pulled back a limb, startled the Mom who promptly flew out of the nest and p**ped right in my eye!! I ran home to my Mom, who laughed and laughed!! Of course, I didn't think it was very funny at all at that time, but it's a funny memory now!

Looks like you had a fun weekend and a great summer ahead of you!!

Anonymous said...

Love to read your blog !
How exciting to have baby birds.....mommy will really be busy!

Gardens are fun ...in Texas we are almost thru are early crops ( peas were really great - 3 quart bags) Now we are wilting in the 95 plus temps but maybe the rest will survive but no rain this month !!


Cory

Renee Anne said...

We started heading back to Wisconsin from our trip to Greensboro, NC and Washington DC. We left DC on Sunday, stopped in Cleveland, OH that night, drove to South Bend, IN yesterday and stayed there last night. We took a quick stop at Notre Dame this morning and got back to Madison around 1pm.

It was a long week of almost constant traveling.

Your home projects and such make me want to do more around my house...and then I remember Little Man and realize that I can't just go outside and work in the backyard for a few hours because of him :( Oh well, maybe next summer...

bitten78 said...

ooh! what fun! I so appreciate the little glimpse into your everyday life. I have to again say how happy I am to have found this blog as one of the first when I started my adventure as a knitter. my kids are learning to spell and write their names in chalk in the driveway, and we are learning as a family to cook better and be craftier and more resourceful. I can only hope that the clumsy knit stitches my kids make will someday turn into some awesome charity work, and that we will be planning a garden together someday. it is always wonderful to know that there are other families out there who make time for each other and enjoy just being together. thanx!

IncenseAndPeppermints said...

What a wonderful post. I'm only 20 but i hope to have such a lovely family life some day. It seems like there's always something awesome going on in your home and i'm so happy that you share it with us. I've been following your blog for about a year now and it's one of the most pleasant to read. As for the weekend...I saw some friends, worked on a cardigan i'm knitting which i'm about to finish very soon, and worked on a painting i'm making for my best friend.

Lois B said...

Love those watermelon socks!

sricker said...

Where did you get that watermelon stripe yarn? I really like it.

Deb said...

Love your blog and LOVE your sandals. I just got me a pair in lime green!