Thursday, December 20, 2012

Winter Greetings & a tiny pattern for you


Hi, Knitters,
Finally! Madison is finally looking like it's supposed to in December. We are all socked in today with a massive blizzard. Schools were even canceled yesterday, a true rarity in these parts. I love it all. The photo above is my view from the front door.....


.... and this is my view from the back. We are expecting 18 inches or so today. I have one son home from college (thankfully) and the other still suffering through the weather and finals at the UW, so he is close by at least. I can't wait to have everyone home under one roof for the holidays.


We have a couple of different advent calendars going. This is one that my sister gave me a few years ago. I put chocolates in each mitten and hat but I have noticed that many of the days to come have already had their candy stolen early.... that's being kind of naughty (or funny).


TC takes my bag of fiberfill and makes the snow around our little collection of lighted houses. These three are from the Christmas Story. I am hoping to get to add another one this year.

Now to show you my very meager knitting offerings for the season. I got it in my head to knit travel mug cozies for a few family and friend gifts this year. This is what I came up with.



First, I whipped up the Leaf Cuddler. The Leaf Cuddler is part of a huge collection of Cup Cuddler patterns. Click here to check it out. It's a cute idea. I enjoyed making the Leaf Cuddler very much. It's a good little pattern. I used Quince & Co. Lark in Snap Pea and Parsley.

On all of the mug cozies I cut either a heart or a square out of white wool felt and stitched the name or initials of the receiver in black thread. I like the personal touch.


Next, I whipped up 5 more mug cozies using a bulky weight yarn, four in Noro Kochoran and one in some kind of Knit Picks Bulky in gray. If you are interested here is what I did (no pdf, just right here on the blog!):

Fits an 8-10 inch cup circumference (it fits all sizes of Starbucks paper coffee cups and the reusable travel mugs)
Small amount of bulky weight yarn
Noro Kochoran (I think this is discontinued?)
Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Bulky
Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bulky
Quince & Co. Osprey

Gauge: 14 sts to 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Needles: US Size 9 dpns (or you can do magic loop or two circular needles) or size to obtain gauge

Cast on 28 sts loosely. Join to work in the round being careful not to twist the stitches. Place a stitch marker on the first stitch. 
Rnd 1: (k2, p2) repeat to the end of the round
Repeat Round 1 until the cozy measures 3 inches from the cast on edge.
Bind off using a needle a couple sizes larger or I used Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off (click here for a tutorial). 

That's all she wrote unless you want to add a personal touch with a piece of felt and a sewing thread and needle. I think the little namesakes add so much.



I started these cozies two days ago and now I have six adorned travel mugs for gifts. 


Above is a manly version.


The heart and the stitching makes it sing.


I stopped by Starbucks and got several grande sized paper travel cups. I put a gift card inside and put the cozy on the outside for a super cute and quick gift.


I couldn't resist turning one of the Leaf Cuddlers into a personalized bookmark. Again, this one is made in Quince & Co. Lark, alternating Snap Pea and Parsely. I just didn't stitch the ends together and blocked it flat.

Alright, I hope you are all warm and safe and cozy. I am enjoying the free day at home. TC's been out in the snow for hours and hours already. Hot chocolate with fresh whipped cream will be due soon. Tonight my kids are signed up for a gingerbread house-making workshop with their cousins at a local bakery by my sister's house but I don't think that is going to happen due to the storm. I would have liked that gingerbread house though.... we'll see what the driving conditions are in several hours.

Have a great weekend. Oh, and one last thing, thank you for the enthusiastic response to my new book and book trailer announcement. I appreciate you very much.

best, susie
p.s. My son came home from college and he was all excited about this documentary he watched. We watched it all together this morning on streaming Netflix. The movie is called Jiro Dreams of Sushi, rated PG, 82 minutes, subtitles. It's a wonderful, interesting film.

17 comments:

Kevin & Stephanie said...

Hi!! Merry Christmas to you and yours! I live in Ohio...and the storm is on it's way!!

I love the advent calendar of the tiny mittens!!! I have found it -- but it's in German and not able to be translated. Do you know where I can find the patterns for these adorable little mittens in English?? Thanks ever so much! Stephanie Bown

Susan B. Anderson said...

My sister bought my advent mitten and hat calendar from Garnet Hill. I don't know anything about the pattern for it:)

Good luck with the storm!

Debbie1085 said...

Susan:
What a great idea... We have several coffee drinkers in our family. May I ask where you got those cups? they look so nice?!!

Debbie1085 said...

Susan:
What a great idea... We have several coffee drinkers in our family. May I ask where you got those cups? they look so nice?!!

Susan B. Anderson said...

The two white ceramic mugs are from Starbucks. The red and blue mug with snowflakes are from Kohl's. There are a couple of paper travel cups from Starbucks, too.

Kathleen said...

Thanks so much for posting this, Susan! I need to whip up a quick gift for a teacher tomorrow, and this is perfect. She doesn't have my daughter in her class, but she is always really nice to her. I love the felt personalization! You saved me!

Blackinese said...

OMG great idea! I will do the same over here. Merry Christmas and a BIG Huge thanks for the pattern and the idea!

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, Susan.
I'm going to check out your new book now. Even though I don't knit much these days, I still can't help but collect your books and patterns, and stalk you! LOL

Suzanne said...

I love your cozies and your decor. thanks for sharing your holiday gifts with us!

Spinner said...

Merry Christmas Susan!

LOVE the Advent calendar garland. Will add that to my list of projects to try this year. I'm sure I can figure it out! We have one that is all of Santa's laundry. The chocolates go in the bum of his long underwear and in his hat and socks. Cracks the boys up! We collect advent calendars here (December 1st is yet another day to celebrate with my little ones) and though they have stolen most of the treats by now, they also love filling them back up. Not much of a countdown but they're only two and five so it helps make the month go a LITTLE faster.

Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and white Christmas!

Nickycarp said...

I've done this kind of gift before, too, although obviously not designing it myself. Very nice! Love it!

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! Nicky momoffour

stephigordon said...

I love seeing your Christmas decorations and the wonderful projects you've made for gifts!!! It's funny - this year I did mug cozies, too, for family and my daughter's teachers and had found ceramic white travel mugs to put them on. They make such a perfect gift!!! I love yours! Your yarn choices and personalization of the cozies/cuddlers make them extra special! Merry Christmas!!!!

Anonymous said...

These cozies are great ! Thanks for sharing. BUT...what keeps the cozy from slipping down on the containers without handles ? Merry Christmas

Susan B. Anderson said...

the cozies are quite snug and they really do stay in place.

ypsiknitti said...

Snow looks lovely, especially since it is in Wisconsin. We have a smattering here in Southeast Michigan. As soon as I clear my desk, I am going to go home and clean and knit. There will be no knitted gifts this Christmas. My gift to myself will be the Oaklet Shawl that I'm knitting with Cakewalk Yarns. Thank you Susan for sharing your creativity, family, and Cakewalk Yarns!! Merry Christmas!!

Julie (Tanknit) said...

Thank you for the pattern.

Deb said...

Love the leaf pattern! You are so creative and make things so quickly. I ordered your new book so excited to receive it next year:) Winter storm hit Canada too with 100 cms of snow in Quebec and many power outages. Thankfully not us in southern ontario. Have a wonderful Christmas with all your kidlets back home!