Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sock Bunny Love

Hi Knitters,
The Collector is on a crafting roll and I just had to share her latest with you. I had popped into Barnes & Noble with her the other day and we wandered into the knitting and sewing book section. She is fun because she will look at these books right along with me for as long as I'd like. Anyway, she was studying the book, Stray Sock Sewing, Too, while I was looking at the knitting books.

By the way, I quietly pointed out my new book to her as it was sitting on the bookshelf facing out at Barnes & Noble. She shook her head and said, "Mom." She said it kind of like I shouldn't have pointed it out. It was funny. It was the first time I had seen the new book out in a public setting. We didn't dwell on my book, that's for sure.

As always, when she gets interested in something crafty I have a hard time resisting her enthusiasm. She came home with the sock toy book. Later, my husband had to run to the drugstore for a couple of items and she tagged along. She came home with a bag filled with fuzzy socks for making toys. She even snuck in a pair of sock slippers (the little footy type) for herself. My husband didn't notice until they got home. He said the slippers were the same kind his Grandma Honey wore. Exactly. She was sporting her Grandma Honey slippers around like nobody's business. She is such a character.
On Sunday, she set out with her book, a pair of fuzzy pink socks, a needle, thread and scissors and a whole lot of determination. She picked out the project called, Baby Bunny. What I love the most about The Collector's version of Baby Bunny is that it doesn't look much at all like the bunny in the book. She took the idea and made it her own. That's awesome.
The fuzzy sock lent itself well to seaming and hand stitching because with matching thread you couldn't see a single stitch. She is beside herself with happiness. That's a lot of pride.
The Collector pulled out her button collection and selected the wooden heart buttons for the front and a tiny brown button for the nose. She stitched on a face with black embroidery floss. She did every last stitch of sewing on her own. Incredibly enough I didn't help at all. She felt so accomplished. This toy was made in a few short hours. She realized that she is able to create something really wonderful on her own without a stitch of guidance from me. This is a big moment for her. The sky is now the limit.
The finishing touch was the tiny pink pom-pom tail she made and added on the back. The bunny is just perfect in its imperfect way.

She named her bunny, Flopsy. She asked me to tell you that.

I enjoyed watching her in action on this project. Boy, she is driven when it comes to creating and making. It is her calling. I can't wait to see where this drive takes her.
best, susie

30 comments:

Debby said...

I love this! It's how I started out many years ago and perhaps you too. What a great bunny. I hope she keeps it for her own children someday.

paws said...

Sounds like a case of "like mother, like daughter." What fun. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love this! My own dear 7 year old just completed her own hand-sewn turtle. I did help with the paper pattern drawing, but she cut out the fabric, sewed around the edges, turned it inside out, and stuffed it. She even whip stitched it together herself! I must get that book for her!

alcatmom said...

I heart Flopsy! That is one cute bunny! Way to go, girl!!

knittingknirvana said...

The apple didn't fall far from that tree!! :)

Stefanie said...

Your daughter is beautiful first of all. Second of all, how wonderful she has that creative streak in her just like her mama. Lastly, her sock bunny rocks the charts!

Andrea said...

So cute! She looks so proud. My daughter is four and she is showing some crafty potential too. Love your blog and your books. I just ordered my copy of your new one after listening to you on the Never Not Knitting podcast. Isn't Alana hilarious?!

mommieof4munchkins said...

How sweet! I love her drive, it is an awesome thing to have. I couldn't help but notice the yarn storage behind her, I think I may have started drooling!

Lisa at lil fish studios said...

I smiled through this whole post. What a sweet and capable girl you have, and what an ADORABLE baby bunny.

Katie B said...

The Collector did a fantastic job! You must be one proud mama.

Unknown said...

She is so adorable -- as is her bunny! When my daughter was her age she didn't want me to show her how to do anything as far as the crafts "I" love . . . knitting, quilting, sewing, etc. Now, she's 32, living in New York, and wishing I lived closer so she could learn a few crafty things from me. She has taken up knitting and I must say is FEARLESS about trying a new pattern. I usually get the phone calls asking, "How do I do _____?" but it's okay because I get to share one of my passions with her!

Unknown said...

awesome bunny! She did a great job :)

mardee said...

Susan- Thank you so much for all of your sharing. I love it when I receive my emails from you. Sooo much fun. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Love the bunny. Just bought Itty Bitty Toys and can't wait to get started. Never knitted an animal before. Thank you again!!!!

Miss Julep said...

PLease tell the collector that I LOVE her "Flopsy" & her creative spirit! I always look forward to seeingwhat she'll come up with next.

Mad City Jess said...

This is so sweet. Makes me want to make my own!

frommorganscloset said...

I the think you may need to rename the Collector as the creator - so cute!

My daughter also loves the Stray Sock Sewing books - but boy can she go through socks!

Keep up the cute work!

BeyondStitches said...

Susan, I just love reading your family stories! Tell the Collector that I'm her #1 fan and that I love her enthusiasm and her beautiful smile. One day, she will find her own books on the shelves :)

Annie said...

That is just too cute for words. Have you two read Knuffle Bunny? Love that story. My daughter latched on to a bunny when she was an infant and still sleeps with it.

PS I heard that you will be in Anoka on Nov. 14th! Ella and I will be there. That's also the weekend the "occasional" stores are open. You'll have to bring some spending money :)

Judi A. said...

Flopsy the Bunny is adorable!! I wanted to grab it and squeeze it close to me. It looks so soft and cuddly and I love its little face. The Collector definitely is a talented creator, but also fortunate to have a mom that encourages her and loves everything she creates. :-) I have a 6 year old granddaughter that is similar, and I can hardly wait to have her visit for a week next summer and have time to expose her to ways to be creative and encourage her along the way. Thank you, Susan, for so willingly sharing your life and ideas with us. :-)

Frauntene McLarney said...

Wow. One of my absolute favorite moments as a parent is watching those "a-ha" moments. When they really get something be it a math concept, ABC's or a new skill. Seeing that connection happen and the confidence that follows!!

ErikaC said...

I love Flopsy! How adorable! Makes me want to make one - my daughter would love it! :)

Stacy said...

What a cute bunny, Collector! Maybe one day you and your mom will do a book together. It is fun to read about the crafting you do together. And speaking of books..I got my Itty-Bitty Toys book and I LOVE IT. Thank you for sharing your creativity, Susan. Your work got me excited about knitting after a long break. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Unknown said...

Brilliant!!She is a clever girl.That sock book is great too.I keep meaning to make one from it & now your daughter has inspired me.
Maybe it should wait until the cot mobile from Itty Bitty Nursery is completed....
Lizziex

O fil de l'O said...

It's just so cute. I love it

Rachel said...

You better sign her up for a book deal now. She's going to have t'weens inspired to be ripping up socks in no time!!! Very cute lil' bunny.

:)

Anonymous said...

that bunny is so cute I wish I had that book and lots of socks!

Anonymous said...

Flopsy is awesome! Tell your daughter that she did a great job. I love the exspression on Flopsy's face - so cute! A very creative Mom and daughter.

christine m. east of toronto said...

wow... you must just LOVE this child to pieces! she is a delight to read about. i love her aura of genuine enthusiasm for everything that seems to come her way!

Chris said...

It's no mystery where she gets her creative drive and passion from! Her bunny is adorable and I love how she adapted in on her own. A natural talent!

Sarah said...

Oh, I love this post! Your Collector sounds so fun--and her bunny is adorable!