Friday, August 01, 2008

Half

Hi Knitters,
Granny update: 90
Last update: 84
I am officially halfway to being done with my granny square afghan. That feels pretty good. I whipped out 6 squares at a swim meet yesterday. That's why there are so many solid squares, all that cutting and working in ends while sitting on bleachers is never easy.
I don't know when I will ever finish but I am determined that I will at some point. If you are just catching on to this project I used the tutorial from here and this yarn. I am working on a size H hook. Still love it and think it is fun.

My friend Betz sent me this wonderful link from the same site, it's too cute for words.
I got this fantastic new rug for my studio. The floor in here is kind of funny. When I started using the tiny office at the front of the house as my studio many years ago it had this awful carpet on the floor. I ripped out the carpet and pulled out all of the staples and tacking boards, which was not fun. We had no extra money for new flooring at that time so I had to be creative. I went and got some paint that is normally used for garage floors, it is extra thick. I bought it in black. I went to town painting the sub-floor. It looked pretty cool, seams and all. Next I took some large swirl stamps in different sizes and I stamped a few colorful swirls around the room.

I grew to like this floor and have never changed it. The black has become worn off in the high traffic areas which makes me like it even more. When I saw this rug I just thought it would go so well under my footstool/work holder and it really works. It only covers a small section of the floor so the black is still visible.
I have a few more quick things to share with you. I know my feet are looking pretty banged up here (ouch) but I want to tell you about these new flip flops I just bought. If your feet hurt at all or you just need some cushy comfort, run and get a pair of these. My sister and I both have trouble with our heels and she clued me in on these. You actually bake them in the oven for a few minutes to warm them up and then you stand on them with your full weight for 2 minutes. They actually mold to your feet. I love them so much that I immediately slide them on when I crawl out of bed in the morning on the way to get my coffee. They feel that good.

Okay, Tracey has some great projects I want to share with you here and here (the ponytail holders, not the fish). I love the shells she added and the scarf is fantastic. Her blog is one to watch for beautiful scenic photos and project ideas because she travels and knits a ton. She does beautiful work all of the time plus she does a ton of charity knitting for babies.

We are in the midst of a three day all-city swim meet so I've run out of time.
Take care, Knitters.
best, susie

6 comments:

Betz White said...

Wow! That's a lot of squares. I haven't made any past my initial 2. I may only aspire to make a scarf. :) I wonder how these would be felted? Hmmm.

BTW, glad you like the mushroom link. Purlbee had felted ones, too!

Love the new rug! You are an orange girl for sure.

Jodi said...

Love the rug and granny squares! Those sandals sound great -- I need to find a pair for myself.

Unknown said...

I think little granny squares are so cute! But I crocheted my husband (then boyfriend) a blanket and every time he washed it (or used it) it would start unravelling. I suppose it was my inexperience that I didn't weave in the ends well enough, but I've always been afraid to make another since then.

I *really* love your new carpet! Orange is my new favorite color.

barb :0) said...

Oh, I love all the bright cheery colors of the granny squares !!!! You have inspired me to take crochet lesson !!!!! That is my treat to myself this fall !!!!
Thank you !!!!!

Anonymous said...

The squares look great! And that rug, fantastic........

peaknits said...

I thought of you when I saw the news on the All-City meet - having remembered you taught yourself to knit when you were a lifeguard:) Great blanket - wow, it is coming along! And thanks for the Toadstool link - so sweet!