Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Best Laid Plans of Mice


Hi, Knitters,
You know how the saying goes.... " the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

I even looked it up to make sure I was saying the quote correctly and here's what I found. 

Etymology

Shortened form of “the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”, translated from Scots “The best laid schemes o' Mice an' Men, / Gang aft agley,” from To A Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest With The Plough by Robert Burns (text and reading of poem).
I have had the best laid plans to get a podcast and giveaway and my new Sheep pattern up this week but instead the week has been riddled with repairs to necessary household items. Two cars, a refrigerator door, and two burners on the stove all broke down at about the same time. We've had maintenence and repair people in the house a lot. Why does everything collapse at once? No one will ever know.

Today I need to pack and prepare for my teaching travels and I didn't realize that my husband had scheduled a new and super duper high-speed internet installation which involved workers inside and outside of my house from early this morning to well into the afternoon. I had to be home for all of that and it was difficult to get any work done. And we had our wonderful daughter returning from college (the only fun new thing on the list!) all amongst the usual hustle and bustle.

None of that repair stuff is exciting or particularly interesting, it's only time-consuming. So the best laid plans of this knitter have gone awry.

Early tomorrow morning I'm off to Fibre Space in Alexandria, Virginia to have a fun weekend of teaching. The rest of my day is going to be filled with packing and organizing for my travels!

Next week, I should be clear and free to execute all of the fun plans I have laid. The finished Sheep pattern has been photographed, tech edited and graphically designed for polish and it is ready to publish. That will be out next week.

I have a super functional and beautifully handmade tote bag to give away from Shop Louleigh on Etsy. It is a brand new design she is offering and you will love it. And I have so much to share as far as fun yarns, projects, patterns, podcast and book recommendations, etc.! The list goes on and on.

The piles are piling.

So, I hope all of your repairs are under control. I am hoping we are in the clear for a moment or two when I get back. I'm off to teach knitting to wonderful knitters in Virginia and all is looking up!

Next week I have BIG plans for this blog! I hope you'll join me.
xo ~ susan
p.s. The sock yarn is a Watermelon Matching Socks Set Gradient from Knit Circus. The needles are Signature Needle Arts double-pointed needles, US size 1/2.25mm, 6-inch length. The pattern is my free pattern, How I Make My Socks.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! Yes! Repairs everywhere. Kitchen sink exploded, washing machine transmission died and... Did you know... Running over a parking block is considered bad form by the collision repair community? I promise I will try not to ever do THAT AGAIN. maybe now a minute for knitting as I can't drive anywhere, do laundry or dishes!

Deborah said...

Hello Susan
I enjoy reading your blog. Good luck with all of your home repairs. I like to watch your postings on instagram. However, my kindle doesn't allow me to post messages so I thought I would ask you here. I loved your linen embroidered book covers. Beautiful! Will you be sharing information on the pattern for the book cover? I would like to make a few. Some for gifts and a few for myself. I used to do embroidery years ago. You've inspired me to embroidery again. Safe travels and enjoy your weekend.

Susan B. Anderson said...

I will go over the linen book cover on my next podcast. You will enjoy making those!!

Susan B. Anderson said...

Oh boy! Enjoy your knitting time.

Rachelle said...

We had that happen 2 years ago, car, motorbike, dishwasher etc all at once. This year I've replaced the fridge and am working on fixing me rather than appliances. I have noticed all the expensive stuff happens at once though, for us it's been all my medical bills over the last 6 months or so.

Anonymous said...

I finally bought 0's as we're moving and I need to make docks as travel projects! New Mexico here we come!

Deb
Zip022

Anonymous said...

Well, I am glad that those things happen like that at other's homes also. When it happens at my home I wonder about the fates! But I remind myself that unless a life is changed, it is not to be fretted over much, just dealt with. If the situation changes a life, then being upset is fine. Enjoy your travels and be safe my friend! Looking forward to your future posts and podcasts.

Dee S

Kimmy said...

Yes, when it rains, it pours. And this applies to household maintenance too, I find. Glad you are managing to keep your head above water. Just know that these things happen to all of us, and quite often it seems.

That watermelon yarn is to-die-for. You find the most interesting and beautiful sock yarns. I only see yarn like this on your Web site and in my dreams. Have fun teaching! Hugs, Kimmy

Holly said...

Have fun in Virginia, a beautiful state with lots of history, if you have the time. Looking forward to your next podcast. xx

Pam K said...

Hi Susan; Thanks for updating us on your week. We just went through a Kitchen remodel so I can relate. Have a great weekend in Virginia. Pam

Unknown said...

I've had weeks like that too. Enjoy your travels and leave the repair work for the hubster.

Tamarack sewing said...

I always love your Blog:) I gotta say, must be the time of year...My craziness started a few months ago with 2 new grand babies being born,that of course I had to travel to go see...and now has accelerated these past 2 weeks to taking care of 3 other grands while their momma is on bed rest, my husband having surgery, one very very sick kitty, tendonitis for me (yeah!)and a good friend who was terminally ill passing and another who passed unexpectedly. Did I mention my youngest graduated from High School yesterday? LOL! Gotta love life. And hey, my husbands surgery took so long I began AND FINISHED a baby hat for the preemie that's expected to join our clan next week. Woot! See, even in the midst of our trials, knitting brings joy and peace.

Cinderellen said...

Same here. I had a few bucks set aside to plant up pretty window boxes but had to spend it on the "well guy" and the "tree guy". Adulting sucks.

romarambles said...

I'm fairly new to your blog but I'm enjoying looking at the socks you knit!

Elise said...

It sounds like there's an echo- I just used that quote from Burns too in my Monday blog and I also looked it up to check (thinking it was from "Mice and Men"). I'm actually using your "How I Make My Socks" pattern for the Mason-Dixon Sock Knit-along. I've knit since college (a long way away) but I've never done socks. So thanks for the pattern! So far so good. Technique Thursday: A Sock-A-Thon, Learning New Techniques- http://lovelyyarnescapes.blogspot.com/2016/05/technique-thursday-sock-thon-learning.html.
#onesockKAL

rphilbeck said...

Love your posts. The watermelon socks are awesome!! Love the colors. I'm making a watermelon shawl right now. Guess I'm ready for the summer!!