Friday, June 29, 2012

Pretzel-Making at Home


Hi Knitters,
My son has been cooking up a storm lately. He suddenly told me he wanted to work on his bread-making skills. Who can say no to that?

For his first project he decided on pretzels, the big, chewy kind you get at the mall, or frozen at Costco which are never as good. The recipe he used is simply called, Mall Pretzels. Click here for the recipe. I couldn't believe how easy it is to make warm, crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, pretzels.

Here is a pictorial view of our pretzel-making adventure (I helped roll some of the pretzels but that's all I contributed). Check at the bottom of the post for a few links I want to share.








Oh, they were good, and let me tell you, the entire plate of pretzels was gone in a flash. Can't you just taste those? The pretzels melted in your mouth. We're definitely making these again. I love it when my son tries new recipes. He loves to cook and is always ambitious and creative in his choices. He also made a tasty and cheesy focaccia bread the other night that was delicious.

I want to share with you a new knitting videocast I am enjoying called, Snappy Stitches. Click here for the show information!  It's short and sweet and Chrissy (formerly of the Manic Purl audio podcast), the host, is a fantastic and talented knitter. This is a fun one to watch, she turns out sweaters and shawls and socks like it is nothing.

I just ordered the pattern and yarn to make Paula, of the Knitting Pipeline's, new shawl design. It is called, Hyla Brook, and is from the always wonderful, Quince & Co. It is a charming little shawl and I can't wait to dig in.

Click here for the pattern information for Hyla Brook!

Click here for the Quince & Co. yarn I ordered! You need only 2 skeins of Tern to make the shawl. It is a good deal.

I'll keep you posted on my progress when I get the yarn.

Take care, Knitters, and have a lovely weekend.
best, susie

14 comments:

Debbie1085 said...

I love those pretzels and it is definitely on my list to make... How about his Pulled Pork?? How did he do it? Is he on the way to being a chef? You always make your blogs interesting!!

Debbie1085 said...

I love those pretzels and it is definitely on my list to make... How about his Pulled Pork?? How did he do it? Is he on the way to being a chef? You always make your blogs interesting!!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to try these, I've never had soft dough pretzels. The glazed crispy one aren't so good, in my view at least. But anything bread-style, yes please! :)

Johnston4kids said...

Our family enjoys making (and eating!) these pretzels. It's a great "everyone has a job" baking time for us. Yumm!

Stefanie said...

My gosh those pretzels look awesome and super delicious! Terrific job.

Hind DP said...

The pretzels look so yummy! I haven't had my breakfast yet, they're making me hungry.

Can't wait to see your Hyla Brook, I loved the way your Piper's Journey came out, it's on my list of things to knit.

bitten78 said...

those pretzels look amazing! we've been using the auntie Annie mix to make salted & cinnimon sugar pretzel's, since it comes with both. now I'm of to look up the recipie. awesome shawl, and I read somewhere that Unicorn books had a great TNNA so congrats there too!!

Anonymous said...

I was fascinated by the pretzel recipe and was planning to make them, until...I checked the sodium content. Wow, over the daily recommended limit. Maybe I'll use cinnamon as they suggested.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Debbie, his pulled pork turned out great, it was a two day process and it was worth it.

Susan B. Anderson said...

My son added lots of salt on top but you don't have to do that and I scraped most of it off before I ate it. I do love the salt though:)

Brandi Schoch said...

My son likes my honey wheat rolls so much he asked me to make pretzels out of it I think I could tweak the recipe as bread dough isn't quite right.

Suzanne said...

We will be right over for the next batch! Thanks for the recipe link as well.

barb :0) said...

I soooooooo copied this recipe !!!! I Love them !!!!!
I usually buy them at Whole Foods .... now I can make them at home !!!!! :0)

Barb said...

these look incredible! How cool is it that your son love to cook? Is he interested in going to culinary school? Or just likes to cook for fun?

I've lever made these pretzels before, but I may just have to give them a try - thanks for sharing this.