Friday, June 04, 2010

Working It Out

Hi Knitters,
I have been knitting hard and long hours this week. I have a fun project going for Knit Simple magazine that I am incredibly excited about. I'll fill you in on the details when it gets closer to the release date. I can tell you that I am doing multiple projects for them, a sort of mini-collection and that I am pleased as punch with how it is turning out. It has been a bit more work than I bargained for which is usually the case. I think this go-round has been especially tough because of where I am in the book editing process, which is also demanding right now and with all of the family end of the school year obligations. It all ended up being due sort of at the same time. I tried to avoid the scheduling debacle but it didn't work.

Not complaining, just telling it like it is. I am happy to be doing all of it but I wish it could be spread out a little bit more over time.

Above is some Debbie Bliss yarn that I used for one of the magazine projects. It is lush and soft. The project has turned out great with the Debbie Bliss. It is a fun one. When you are doing projects for magazines they select the yarn for you and send it to you. It is a little different in that way. Renee Lorion is the yarn editor for Soho Publishing and she has a good eye. Plus she is fun and nice to work with. I am enjoying her. By the way, Knit Simple is in my top 3 knitting magazine selections. It is crisp, clean, do-able, offers loads of variety and it's just plain fun! I've heard from several knit shop owners when I was touring that it is their best-selling knitting magazine by far. It is accessible for every knitter and that's why it does so well.
Here is the yarn for another project for the magazine. I have another set of these same colors all wound and being used right now. I am almost done with this project and the yarn is very smooth and a little springy. It is Plymouth Select, 100% superwash fine merino. The colors are absolutely spot on for the project.
Here's my tried and true Spud & Chloƫ Sweater in Toast, Ice Cream and Watermelon. Isn't that about the sweetest color combo you've seen? The project is pretty sweet, too. That Watermelon colorway is about the best shade of pink I've ever worked with. I consider myself a pink connoisseur and it has just the right amount of rosy-ness for my liking. The project using this yarn is simple and quick. I think you will love it.
I literally have not had time to work on my Shalom for days and days but I thought I'd give you a brief progress report. I have one sleeve almost completed with just a few inches to go. I also added the last two brown buttons. This one is a winner for sure. I love wearing it and it isn't even finished yet.

Okay, next week I am having a giveaway so pop back for that. It is going to be a fun one.

Oh, and I found this interesting flower tutorial for the Mollie Flowers. I am dying to try it. The tutorial is different because it is done through photographs only, no text. Hmmm.... I haven't tried it yet but when I look through it I feel a little confused. I think when I am actually doing it along with the photos it may become clearer. Aren't those cute flowers? Edited to add: For some reason whenever I download the pdf the text is deleted but there is text that is supposed to be next to the photos. I have no idea why it isn't working for me. You may have better luck.

Lately, I have been experiencing the greatest urge to knit for fun. It is taking over my mind. When I go running all I can think about is what I am going to knit for fun next. I am living in a fantasy world that I will ever get to do all of the projects I am planning. One thing I am going to make for sure is the Citron shawl. I have a ton of yarn I could use for this so I am having fun trying to decide. I'll keep you posted when I get started. Maybe you'll want to join me?

The other project I am all set to make, with skeins wound and everything, is the Garter Yoke Sweater. I will do this after I finish the Shalom. This cardigan is the same designer who did the Tea Leaves Cardigan, Melissa LaBarre, that I loved making. I am making it in Peace Fleece that I have had sitting around for literally years. I saw that Soule Mama made her version in Peace Fleece and it turned out great. I have been snooping through Amanda Soule's favorites because I love everything she makes for herself and her kids. You should look, too, right here. She is pretty all-around awesome in every way.

Melissa LaBarre has a book of sweaters coming out in July, New England Knits. I am stalking amazon just waiting for its early release (fingers crossed). She is a genius and I'll be buying this book sight unseen.

Enough for now and back to work for me. Deadlines are just that, deadly. I will be working away the weekend and squeezing in some family fun, too. Hope you are doing the same without the working part.
best, susie
p.s. Did you catch my two new patterns? Here and here.

12 comments:

Carisa said...

Susan that Mollie Flower tutorial looks GREAT! You might want to check that again because I had words with the copy I downloaded. Just thought you'd want to know! Excited to see your new stuff and of course for the giveaway!

Nancy said...

Gee Susan, I think you need to find something to do. You have so much time on your hands. How DO you manage? LOL

Elly said...

Hi Susan! I LOVE that Shalom cardigan on you! So beautiful! Makes me want to knit one for myself :)

Thank you for including the Mollie flowers' website. Those are so cute! I definitely want to make them!
I don't know why you're not able to see the words when you download the pattern, maybe your computer is hiding them, because I have MccAfee and sometimes it doesn't show some images or words to protect my computer, so I sometimes have to click a button to allow the website (whatever it's hiding) to show. When I clicked on it right now, it worked fine for me. Hmm I can try emailing it to you and we can see if you're able to view the words then.

~Eliana~

cindy3232 said...

Those little flowers are so cute...so many possibilities! Loving your Shalom. I favorited it but then thought the shape of the armhole/sleeve looked weird, so I un-favorited it, lol. The sleeves you added are making me reconsider, though!

Misty said...

Susan, I had the same problem with the Mollie Flowers! Do you have a Mac? I do, and I had to open it with Adobe Reader in order to see the text with the photos.

Good luck!

Sachiko said...

Hi Susan! I adore your work and I just found your blog and made me so happy! Thank you for sharing your talent. :)

Patricia Roth said...

Hi Susan - what are your other two favorite knitting magazines? I just bought a knit simple and I love it.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Hi Patricia,
I've always loved Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits. I love Knitscene, too. I also love the UK magazine Simply Knitting.

Knit Simple is definitely in my top three though, it is put out by the Vogue Knitting.

susan

Gigi said...

Wow, you're just knitting up a storm (love your Shalom) and thanks for all the good links! I found some really cute patterns for my littles when I followed your suggestion to 'snoop' through Soule Mama's favs -- love the little tea leaves cardi and Simo dress.

Melanie said...

i just finished your "olive you" hat for a baby to be born tomorrow and named olive. :)

that baby bunting instantly went into my ravelry queue.

Unknown said...

I´m glad I´m not the only one that can´t stop thinking about what to knit for fun next. If you read my last knitting post you can tell that I have a problem and I need a 12 step program. Of course I´m still knitting through your book but I am also knitting for my self for a change. Lots and lots of beautiful knits that I really love. Even dyeing yarn to make the tea leaves cardigan for myself. I also cast on the Citron last weekend.
Hope things work out with time.

Kay Moffat said...

Susie
You are truly one busy person. I'm still into the animal phase, just finished another hippo and now the lamb and plan to start on the mouse today. Thanks for all your wonderful patterns in the Itty Bitty Toy book (the one I wasn't going to purchase ) Ha

Kay