Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Presto Change-o

Hi Knitters,
When you end up with a lemon make lemonade. That's what I did with this golden moment.
Can you guess what the knitted golden piece was before I turned it into a pear?
All I did to change it was to turn it, add an I-cord stem and a green wool felt leaf.
Maybe if you see it turned this way you can tell. It was the head of a giraffe toy for the book I made that didn't turn out to be the right size. I kept looking at it, thinking I should rip it back or throw it out but then I turned the nose up and suddenly it looked just like a pear. Lemons to lemonade or giraffe heads to pears in this case. I think it will make a cute new pincushion for my table. 
Speaking of tables, I'd like to set mine with this flatware dishtowel. I bought this wonderfully sweet dishtowel at the ever-fantastic anthropologie. You can't go wrong when you shop there for a gift or two. I need to wrap this up and send it off, I am already late.
Each spoon, fork and knife is appliqued on with contrasting fabric which makes it feel homey and handmade. That is the quality I love from anthropologie, things look handmade in there. What a great spot. You know, if I ever get around to all of that sewing I'd like to do this is exactly the type of thing I would like to make, little, fun useful items for the home.
This is another presto change-o item my daughter picked out for me for mother's day. They are measuring cups made out of a silicone like rubber. They lay flat and then...
...you pop them up to form the cups. These are a great invention because my measuring cups always get stuck in my drawer when I try to open it. Does that happen to  you? Plus they are super colorful, kind rainbow-like.

You know what I did the other night? I am excited to say that I recorded a knitting podcast of my own. It needs some work before it is ready to post so I can't promise when it will be ready. At some point in the near future I will be doing some podcasting. I think it is the perfect extension of the blog.

What do you like to hear in your favorite knitting podcasts? I know what I enjoy and I'd love to hear what you enjoy in knitting podcasts. Let me know if you get a chance.

Did you hear that this favorite of mine is expecting her sixth baby? That's impressive and fun.

Okay, that's it for today. Take care, knitters.
best, susie

12 comments:

Nikki said...

I just read about on Monday, how incredible and exciting! I jumped on her blog to rave about my fat stack of her Garden Party fabric and my signed copy of her book that I had just gotten in the mail that day.

You BOTH inspire me with how you can do so much while you both such big families. I find it difficult sometimes to fit in my 'crafty' time and I only have one child. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to multi-task like you ladies and do it ALL :)

peaknits said...

Good thinking on the pear - I have those measuring cups because mine always got stuck too! I love these silicone flatty things - I have my eye on a cutting board with a silicone strainer in it that goes over the sink at Bed, Bath and Beyond:) Can't wait for some more podcast info - I like to hear what people are reading, craft book recomendations - yarn reviews! Have fun!

knittingknirvana said...

I am super psyched that you are doing a podcast! I love podcasts!! Let's see, as far as features go, I love hearing about what people are knitting, what yarn they have recently purchased, what patterns they are lusting after, and how their personal lives and their knitting come together. Hope it helps!

Oiyi said...

Omg, I love that knitted pear!! Would be cute for a kitchen table, but mine is usually filled with knitting projects.

That dishtowel is so cute! They do make such cute things.

Dany said...

Hi Susie!
I love this pear! I think it will be nice hangin' on the Christmas tree!! Don't you think?
It would be nice to create different type of fruits, to put on the tree!
Maybe also using a sparkling yarn!

paws said...

Hey! I made a pear that looks just like that.

Anonymous said...

The pear is lovely but I am soooo excited that you are working on a giraffe for you book!

Trish said...

Hi there! Just wanted you to know I featured your earflap hat design on my blog today. Check it out! And thanks for Itty Bitty Hats - one of my favorites!
www.ttwcreative.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Another question :).

So I have almost completed the floral wreath hat from the Itty Bitty Hat book. It's adorable!

However, I am not quite sure what to do with all of the ends from sewing the buds and leaves on. They ends are all on the inside of course and I read that I am supposed to weave them in.

However, as a newer knitter, what is the best way to go about this. How much needs to be weaved in and with putting the hat on and off a lot, will the weaved ends stay put?

Just not sure if there is a right and wrong way to tidy up all of these loose strands of yarn hanging about?

Thanks.
Jessica

P.S. I have posted this hat and referenced your blog, youtube and books on my blog. This book is my favorite!

Susan B. Anderson said...

Yay, Jessica! I can't wait to check out your rosebud hat. Somewhere in itty-bitty hats I talk about tying knots. A knitter who only works by the book or rules would never tie a knot on the inside of their knitting. However, I do tie little knots before weaving in the ends, especially on hats that are being pulled and stretched and wrangled: )

You choose what you want to do but I know for a fact that I tied knots on the inside of my rosebud wreath hat and it has held up wonderfully and it looks beautiful from the outside.
good luck and thanks for the kind words.
susan

Unknown said...

If I won the lottery, I'd go on a shopping spree at Anthropologie. I just love it! Their ornaments are always gorgeous and fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susie!

I adore your blog...it is really inspiring. I just had my third baby 9 weeks ago and haven't really knitted since I was pregnant with oldest 4 years ago...so thank you for your inspiration!

The pear is great! Wouldn't it be great if you put something heavy inside with the filling and used it as a paperweight?!

Happy knitting!

Shell