Thursday, January 31, 2008

Crochet Answers and Copyright Questions

Hi Knitters,
Here is one quick knitting update, I finished one Vesper Knit and Tonic sock yesterday. It's a beauty. I have already started the second sock.

I tallied up the responses I received about crochet being added on a knitted project for trims or for embellishments. There were a good number of comments left and I received quite a few emails on the subject as well. I know this isn't a huge study but the results came out kind of how I thought they might. About 75% of the responses were positive to crochet being used in knitting projects. In fact many said they love to crochet and learned to crochet prior to knitting. The other 25% were mostly against ever using crochet for anything. There were a couple of maybe someday crocheters thrown in there, too. I find it all interesting. I had a couple of knitters suggest that if I use a crochet aspect in a pattern there could be a knit alternative as well. I also had quite a few people who are like me, if I like a pattern enough and it has a skill I don't know then I learn the technique needed to make the project. I work on a learn as needed basis a lot and it works well for me. This way I am always adding to my repertoire of skills which is good. Thanks for letting me know how you feel about crochet being combined with knitting.
I have one last topic that I have been thinking about mentioning for quite some time now. Every week I get a number emails from sweet and kind knitters who are requesting permission to knit my designs and sell them for profit. I also receive many emails from concerned knitters who are alerting me to sites, blogs and etsy sellers who are knitting and selling my designs.
I have been writing individually to the people who email me but it has become increasingly difficult for me to keep up with these requests. I think if I make a statement here it might help clear up some questions people have on this subject. I will be adding a copyright statement to my sidebar as well.
In general, I do not give permission to others to sell my designs in pattern (written) form or knitted form for online retail, retail shops, resale or for wholesale ventures. My designs in written and in knitted form are for personal use only, not to be used for commercial sales of any sort.
On the other hand, I have given and do give my permission for my designs in knitted form to be used for charity donations of any kind like school fundraisers, hospital fundraisers, shelters, silent auctions, etc. Any type of charity knitting is an absolute yes from me! I love that people knit baby hats and baby items for charities, nothing could be better than that. Yay for charity knitting.
best, susie
p.s. Dani of Sunshine Yarns just opened her new online shop and it is beautiful. I've already made a couple of purchases.

8 comments:

Betz White said...

Good for you for mentioning the copyright issue. You are so generous in sharing your inspiration and free tutorials by means of your blog that I think sometimes people fail to see the difference. You have every right to protect your intellectual property.

Now, about knitting socks, are those wood forms you put them on a necessity?

peaknits said...

Nice sock! And I would tell Betz, yes the blockers are necessary - for showing the world how fabulous they are - haha!

Your mosaic pot is also fabulous!

Alicia said...

Susan,
I've been meaning to comment for awhile now. I have absolutely fallen head over heals for your Itty Bitty books. I got both for my birthday, and my needles have been flying ever since. I am pregnant with my first baby, a girl, and due in two months, and I can't get enough of the girly projects. Your patterns are so incredibly easy to follow and have really given me confidence to step away from the typical rectangles and squares I had been knitting. My first project was the grumpy teddy bear. I've done a few hats, and I'm in the middle of the basket-weave blanket with the ruffled edge. They are truly beautiful. I have featured them on my blog time and time again. I also wanted to thank you for your incredible tutorials. My grandma taught me to knit, and I have a really hard time following pictures of difficult techniques. Your picot edging tutorial saved my chick hat (minus the chicks with a flower to embellish). Anyway, thank you so much for making me look like a much better knitter than I am. =)

-Alicia

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you mentioned that you "learn on as needed basis", it is nice to hear that from such an Icon in knitting. I have moved to that style and now try so many more projects that I never would have. The copyright in the artist world NEEDS to be reinforced, thank you for addressing it direct and professional manner. In this community the sharing and giving is part of the culture, which is AWESOME! We all need to do our part in respecting the boundaries, that way the great culture will thrive.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Alicia,
That makes my day more than you will ever know!
susan

Knitterella said...

You should mention this copyright more often. I see your hats around Etsy and it upsets me and I'm not even you! You know what I mean :)

Your work is so great and you have always been generous! Don't feel bad about posting a copyright statement, you totally should!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to change the subject but what about the MPLS Knit-Crochet Out? Have you changed your mind about attending? I scanned the schedule for your name and didn't see it.
Please tell us you haven't reconsidered.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Hi Amyknit40,
Oh no, I am planning on being in Minneapolis. I just emailed my publicist to make sure I am on the schedule. I will report back on that.
I am excited because I will be attending Kristin Nicholas' color workshop on Friday night, I think. I will get that information and pass it on. It is at a different venue.
Thanks for the heads up on that.
susan