Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Salt and Pears

Hi Knitters,
Oooooh, what could be better than a beautiful green pear in the fall? A pear covered in a sweet knitted cozy, of course!

I bought the most spectacular big pears at the market a couple of days ago and while we were waiting for them to ripen up I started thinking of a pear fruit cozy. This is not my original idea to cover fresh fruit in knitting but I just think it is so cute. The thing I didn't like about the cozies I had previously seen for apples and pears is that they all had a button and loop. I thought to myself, I don't even like to button things for clothing that much, why bother with a button on this fun item. I know, once again, it's a little strange, but that's really how it goes in my head.
I started thinking about socks and how stretchy socks need to be to fit over your heel and ankle and then still fit snuggly around your leg. Why certainly there is a correlation here with the large bottom portion of the pear and the smaller top. A little ribbing should do the trick!
This way you don't need all of that fidgeting around with a button loop and sewing. This design keeps the fruit snug and protected and best of all it slides on and off easily with little effort. I think I've got it, the perfect pear cozy.
The other great thing is that it is a cute and quick way to use up that leftover sock yarn sitting in my studio. This is a definite gift item to add to my list of quick knits. The bottom is even cute. The yarn is Sereknity sport weight in the watermelon colorway. I knitted on US size 5 dpns. I added the picot edge as I did the bind off to add a frilly touch. Quick, funny and cute all in one project to go!
Happy Halloween to everyone. My sister and brother and kids will be over at my house tonight for an early pizza dinner and trick or treating adventures, can't wait. I hope you all have a fun and safe night if you partake.
I want to be sure to let you know where I'll be over the next couple of days. So here is the update:
Salt Lake City, Utah here I come, catch me if you can!
Friday, November 2nd:
11:00am live tv on Studio 5 HD
4:00pm interview and photoshoot
Deseret News
7-8:30pm Itty-Bitty Workshop
The Wool Cabin
2020 E. 3300 S.
SLC
Contact: Suzette Cannon 801-910-2703 for information
Saturday, Nov. 3rd:
11:00am-1:00pm
The Wool Cabin
book signing and trunk show
Contact: Suzette Cannon (see above) for information
I am so excited to see everyone at the Wool Cabin. Please pop by if you are in the area, I'd love to meet you. Thank you Suzette for arranging this wonderful trip with my publisher.
Natalie of smallandcheery, from Salt Lake, if you are reading this, I would love to do an interview with you. I couldn't find your blog and your email didn't come through on the comment from yesterday. Please get in touch with me today at my email which is on my profile page or leave another comment with your email and I won't post it. I didn't want you to think I wasn't interested so you got your own paragraph here!
Happy Halloween.
best, susie

8 comments:

Terrie D. (StarSpry) said...

Adorable pear cozy!!

Happy Halloween! Love the tree :)

Unknown said...

OMG - this is so sweet, silly and fun all wrapped in one! Great idea! Might have to steal it - so clever and not-so-practical! Have fun trick or treating - we'll be with you in spirit in Cambridge - hunting away for treats! Have a great and safe trip to UT!

pink-petal-designs said...

how cute !!
Sarah x

Lovemook said...

Hey!!! I was just about to ask you if you would share your apple sweater pattern? If you have it here somewhere, point me in the right direction. I told my non-knitter co-worker about the apple sweater and how silly it is, and she thinks it's the most adorable thing and wants one for Xmas. I'd even buy a pattern to make her shut up. She won't stop talking about it :)

handknit168 said...

It is cute for the pears cozy and a good idea to make use the yarn stash. I also crochet a basket for yarn using the stash.

Oiyi said...

I love the pear cozy!

Betz White said...

So, do you think a pear cozy would help the pear ripen? I know, I'm practical. I use the brown paper bag technique when the pears are hard and I need them to ripen quickly. This would be so much more stylish. And I'm ALL about stylish fruit! :)

jennysue said...

This pattern in truly inspired and brilliant! No more bruised up snack apple in my away knitting bag. I NEEDED this and didn't even know it.