Saturday, February 03, 2018

Birkin Sweater ~ my new love!


Hi, Knitters,
I hope you are all doing well and that your knitting is being good to you. I am in love with this sweater. It is called Birkin and it is designed by Caitlin Hunter. She is an amazing designer. 


The original Birkin sweater has 3/4 length sleeve but I wanted mine to have long sleeves. This is the only modification I made. It is perfection. 


I love that Caitlin included short row shaping for the neckline and that she added texture to the colorwork yoke. There are strategically placed mini-bobbles throughout. The leafy vine along with the flowers really come together.

The woolen spun fingering yarn makes the sweater as light as air but yet more and cozy.


I am thrilled to announce that with Caitlin's permission, Barrett Wool Co. is now offering kits for the Birkin Sweater!

The Birkin Kits include our Wisconsin Woolen Spun Fingering Weight in a beautiful Oatmeal for the main color and four gorgeous contrast colors for the colorwork yoke, Wild Plum, Penny, Hazelnut and Laurel. 


Go fast to check out the kits if interested. The kits are literally flying out of the shop. 

Here is a little photo story about my Birkin knitting:


The pattern originally appeared in Laine magazine No. 2. Our Birkin Kits include a Ravelry download code for the pattern if you don't have it already. It is an option. 


Yoke compete! Now on to the body.


The body is done here. The slight A-line shaping is all done through going up in needle size. The back is slightly longer than the front. I love this design feature. 


Finally, one sleeve done and the second is started. It didn't take long from here before my sweater was finished. I have worn my Birkin non-stop during this very chilly winter. 

Anyway, thanks for stopping by today! I hope you love your Birkin as much as I do if you partake.


On a quick side note, these sheep scissors are in hot demand! We just got another shipment and they are going fast again. We can't keep them in the shop.

Have a great weekend, Knitters.
I'll be back soon with more...
xo ~ susan


4 comments:

Tara said...

What a fun kit! Also, I'd love to hear more about your embroidery project. It looks so elegant!

Barb Buteyn said...

What a beautiful sweater!

Colleen Wheeler said...

How fun, I look forward to getting a kit - what a beautiful sweater! What is the Wisconsin board on the book?

Susan B. Anderson said...

It’s a coaster!