Friday, February 05, 2016

Super Sock Friday!


Hi, Knitters,
First things first, I have a couple of quick announcements. 

I was a guest on the Yarn Thing podcast this week. You can have a listen to the episode by clicking right here!

I have just added a book signing/meet and greet to my schedule at Fancy Tiger Crafts in Denver, Colorado! I will be there on March 1st, 2016, from 7 to 8pm! Click here for more information! I hope you can join me.

I have one spot in one class (Egg to Owl) left as of right now for the Yarnover event in Minneapolis in April! Click here to find out more! Meg Swansen is going to be the keynote speaker so I am super excited about that. I love her.

Now for the giveaway. I've randomly selected 12 winners to receive 100 grams, enough for a pair of socks, of the Arne & Carlos Regia sock yarn. Thank you to Regia for the fantastic and huge giveaway opportunity. And thank you to all of the people who entered, it was an amazingly huge and fun response!

Here are the 12 winners by Ravelry username: 
flyingmonkeys
JeansNY
Roadchick
philomenasfriend
Wagner
AnneSATX
LavenderLune
bbean33
JKnits51
fieldwonderful
Elvensknits
PLC1

Congratulations to you all! Have fun with your sock yarn. I have contacted all of the winners via Ravelry pm with instructions on how to receive your prize yarn.

Now on to a few pairs of fun socks in the works. The photo above is a very sweet sock that I started yesterday. I'm really in love with this little sock so far. It is the perfect Valentine sock project to have started.
Here is the information:
Yarn: The Wool Barn's BFL Tweed Sock yarn in the Soft Pink colorway. (I LOVE this dyer!)
Needles: DyakCraft 6-inch double-pointed needles in Golden Oak, 2.25mm size
Pattern: How I Make My Socks with the added Eyelot Mock Rib Cable from the Ellison Bay shawl by Paula Emons-Fuessle.
Stitch Marker from Little Skein.
The sweater I am wearing in the photo is Antrorse by Shannon Cook in Quince & Co. Osprey in the Peacoat colorway.


I've actually finished the pair in the photo above, in the Patons Kroy Socks yarn but I still need to take a photo of them. I'll post the finished pair photo next time, but in the meantime I did take a video of the finished pair that you can see by clicking right here! For almost daily updates of my knitting you can follow me on Instagram if you'd like. Click here for my Instagram.

I love these squishy socks and I got both socks to match perfectly stripe by stripe so that is kind of a treat. It takes effort to get those stripes to match, a lot of winding off and remembering where you started with the first sock. 
Yarn: Patons Kroy Socks in the Meadow Stripes colorway (I'm not sure where to get ahold of this colorway right now, I've had this for awhile in my stash.)
Needles: US size 1.5 or 2.5mm double-pointed needles, 6-inch length, from Knit Picks
Pattern: How I Make My Socks but I cast on 60 stitches due to the heavier fingering weight
Sock blocker from TheLoopyEwe.com 


I pulled out a sock project that I had started quite awhile ago. I love this sock and can't wait to get the second one finished! The yarn is uniquely dyed so there will not be any pooling or flashing of the colors. I like that a lot. the variety of colors and the quick color changes makes it really fun to knit, too.
Pattern: Monkey Socks free pattern
Sock Blocker from TheLoopyEwe.com.


I'm definitely a bit sock-obsessed right now. I am having the best time with my sock knitting. I am gifting some of my recent sock projects to others in the family, and I need to get some more socks on the needles for both of my sons. They both love their handknit socks and need more in their drawers.

Have a great weekend, friends! The days are getting a bit longer now and spring is coming right around the corner. There is so much to look forward to and it will all be here before you know it.
xo ~ susan

29 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh wow, that Graffiti yarn is so cool!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness that pink yarn is so sweet! Perfect for lifting spirits in February. Love the cuff pattern, too!

Kimmy said...

I think those two hand dyed sock yarns are the prettiest I've ever seen. Unfortunately, I can only afford the Kroy :-/ Maybe someday...
LOVE how your socks turned out (all 3). I think the light pink ones may be my favorite, but it's really a toss-up with that last pair.

I'm knitting socks at the moment too. My yarn isn't too interesting, but the pattern isn't boring:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/narcissa-socks

I'm using my 12-inch Addi circulars (2.25 mm).

Hugs, Kimmy

Holly said...

I llove the bright striped socks, fun! Have a great weekend.

Barb Buteyn said...

These socks are all so pretty. It is motivating me to start a pair myself.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'm a winner! I think I'll make another pair of "Socks on a Plane" by Laura Linneman.

Ana said...

Yes....spring is coming and one thing I'm really looking forward to is meeting you, Susan, in Sarasota, for your shawl class! Ana

Malena said...

I'm so excited to have won the Arne & Carlos!! I can't wait to see it! Thank you so much!!

Malena
(flyingmonkeys)

Anonymous said...

Do you have any advice on knitting socks for growing sons? I have not knit any because I am afraid they will out grow them in a month or refuse to wear socks that start out too big!

Susan B. Anderson said...

As far as knitting socks for growing kids I think the best you can do is give them a little wiggle room, just enough to grow a tiny bit but not so that it is too loose to wear right now. Other than that when knitting for kids in general I think you have to accept that whatever you are making isn't going to fit for too long and then either pass it down or keep it as a keepsake.

And it is always fun to think about casting on the next project for the growing child at whatever stage!

susan

paws said...

You have inspired me to try sock knitting again. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Brenda said...

Your monkeys are gorgeous---I bought a skein of this yarn when you first had it on your blog, but mine is still marinating in my stash.

Dorothy B said...

Thank you for reminding me that that yarn is the Graffiti and Asphalt. You inspired me to buy it quite a while ago in a previous post, and I've made and worn the socks a lot. I love it. It's held up really well too-no pilling or felting and even some of my mass-produced "workhorse" sock yarns haven't worn as well. It's cozy and feels soft on my feet while also being nicely wooly. And those gorgeous bits of color!! (Maybe this will help someone spend a little more on this wonderful yarn, I hope!)

annesatx said...

Oh, thank you so much! I'm thrilled to have won the Arne & Carlos yarn. Can't wait to see it and try it out. This totally made up for a long hard week at work. Thanks again, Susan.

AnneSATX

Cindy Lou said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so excited to have won some Arne & Carlos sock yarn! I can't wait to see it!

Thanks so much!
Cindy Lou (Roadchick)

Quilts by PAR said...

I love this color and the pattern. I'm just learning to knit socks. Fortunately I have three very young granddaughters (15 months to 5.5 years) to practice with.

Quilts by PAR said...

I like that color of this yarn and the pattern. I'm a beginner as far as socks and fortunately have three granddaughters to practice on (15 months up to 5.5 years). *grin*

Anonymous said...

Are you planning on selling the gorgeous pink sock pattern? It's so pretty!
You are an enabler!! Love the sock you brought out and knitted...
Keep up the great work you do!

Lynne said...

I want to make my husband a par of socks. I have some Patons Kroy and also Arne and Carlos. Which would you recommend for comfort? He is a size 10---how many stitches would I cast on and also what needle size? Your "how I make my socks" is my favorite pattern😊

Thank you,
Lynne

Unknown said...

Very sweet pink socks! Thank you.
Tara (Ravelry: Qatara1)

Susan B. Anderson said...

HI Lynne,
Patons is a little thicker and squishier so it might be more comfortable to some. I have recommendations for men's socks, using my women's pattern, HOw I Make My Socks.

HEre is the link: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/how-i-make-my-socks

Click on the men's sock link on the page.
Susan

Lynne said...

Thank you! I'll be casting on tonight!!!!!

Rose said...

Susan - Could you please share your idea of using a small ball of yarn for the heel flap to maintain the color striping for the remainder of the sock (the foot)

I think it's such a good idea and have been trying to figure out how to accomplish this without cutting the leg yarn.
Thanks!

Rose said...

Susan- could you please share your technique of using a small ball of yarn for the heel flap to maintain the striping from the leg through the foot? I have tried to accomplish this but always need to cut the yarn and re-start the leg yarn on the other side of the foot after turning the heel.
Thanks

Susan B. Anderson said...

Hi Rose,
I talked about this in detail on my podcast episode 15, a couple of minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w5q9g7yOzE

Wherever your working yarn is left is where you pick up and start knitting again after the heel flap and turn.

I hope this helps.
Susan

Rose said...

Thanks so much

Rose said...

I see Juniper Moon has released a new batch of bunnies. Any chance you will be developing a pattern for their sweaters??? You did such a great job on the animals released last fall!!

Unknown said...

Love the monkey sock pattern, I just finished a pair of blueberry waffle socks and will now start a pair of monkeys to celebrate the year of the monkey!!!

Wendy S said...

You Yube is fine. It's too bad ITunes makes it so difficult to use. The tray is very pretty. Sealight on Ravelry.