Friday, October 30, 2015

Fall Inspired



Hi, Knitters,
I have randomly selected a winner for the Little Skein Secret Garden Luxe Kit and the winner is.....

Susan Cowan or MaggieGrl on Ravelry! Congratulations to Susan. 

I've already emailed Anne Vally of Little Skein to pass on Susan's contact information. Anne will be getting in touch directly. Thanks to everyone for entering, what an amazing and huge response! I will host another giveaway very soon.

I started recording a podcast episode and I got about 20 minutes in and I noticed my phone had stopped recording. I had to stop and move things around and by the time I got back to it the house was full of family and there was a lot going on. So I have about a half of a podcast filmed and hopefully I'll get to recording the rest this weekend or early next week. 

Well, fall has hit pretty hard around here. It is such a beautiful time of year. We have had a mild and somewhat warm fall season. Although we've had some colder weather recently the first week of November is supposed to be back up around 70 degrees. That seems impossible.


Everyday I get outside to enjoy the outdoors and the fall colors. It has been beautiful and inspiring. The fall landscape and temperatures have seeped into my knitting over the last couple of weeks. I'm thinking a lot about cozy sweaters and warm wool socks.


I started a pair of Patchwork Socks. There isn't a specific pattern for these socks. You just take leftover sock yarn and your favorite sock pattern and switch yarns every 10 rounds or so. The yarns I'm using are the leftovers from the four pairs of Arne & Carlos Regia socks I have made. I am knitting these socks from the toe-up and it has been really fun. They won't match but they will definitely go together and look like a pair. I see a lot of autumnal colors when I look at that finished sock. I've already started the toe on the second sock.

And for some reason navy blue has been going strong around here as well.


Miss Molly (my future daughter-in-law) finished her Yowza Weigh It 3 Shawl using Miss Babs Yowza in the Stairway to Heaven colorway. It is beautiful and she reported that she has worn it several times already. Molly says it is warm and cozy. She loves it!


The other navy blue project I've been working on is the Antrorse sweater by Shannon Cook. I am using Quince & Co. Osprey in the Peacoat colorway. Those are Karbonz dpns on the sleeve, US size 10. 

Since this photo I've finished the sweater and it is blocking and drying now. I've ordered some buttons that I hope will work out well. I'll share more about it as soon as it is all together and done. Antrorse is a great pattern, super simple and fast. 

I'll be back with my podcast episode very soon.
xo ~ susan

16 comments:

Suzanne said...

You inspire me to get out and enjoy the weather in every season. It's not as cold here in the winter but I still run outdoors whenever can. I appreciate your deep admiration for the natural world wherever you are.

Mary Kay said...

Looking forward to your new podcast!

Kate Price said...

What lovely socks. They look so fun!

Mel said...

Congrats Susan. Fun post. Love autumn 😀

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater. I had considered it and now I really want to knit it!

Unknown said...

Susan, Your blog almost makes me want to welcome cold weather. Can we come to your house to warm up in all those cozy knits? lol

Holly said...

Enjoy the great outdoors xxHolly/Grannyslove

Kristi said...

Can't wait to hear more about the sweater. I've been gathering up the courage lately to knit my first sweater!

Stefanie said...

It is so wonderfully fall in your city. Ours is semi. I love this blue you've used for your new jumper. I've seen this pattern before and bypassed it but now I'm faving it b/c of you. I have to say the yoke is nice and not strangling and I like the possibility in color and in button choice. I like how your sock came out. I've been hoarding my leftover balls of sock yarn; some contain special memories for me.

Nan said...

Beautiful! Wondering how you join the yarns together? If they're all wool I would felt together. But they don't all look like wool. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Can't wait for the podcast but those socks are too yummy for words!!! I would think it's impossible to be miserable once those are on your feet no matter how cold the day! Loving all the blue... xxx

Unknown said...

Good morning, Susan. I am really curious about your heel. You have mentioned using a short-row heel technique in your toe up socks. Could you be more specific? Is there a certain - a particular technique - for the short row heels you are knitting? I've done the one Cat Bordhi calls Sweet Tomato. It was fun to knit but was a bit too loose. There seem to be about a dozen different names for short row/wedge heels. Yours look so neat and tidy I'd really like to know how you do yours.

Thank you so much,

Lindy Barnes
Lake Ann, MI

Unknown said...

Your sweater looks so simple and beautiful that you've inspired me to cast on for NaKniSwemo. I hope mine looks as good as yours. :)

Garnhumlan said...

Hi Susan! Follow your blog and podcast and learn a lot and get inspired from them. I was interested in the podcast you mentioned in your last podcast. As I am from Sweden I could not catch the name it. Hue logo? I have googled and searched for it but i didn't manage to find it. Can you help me? Thank you so much

Susan B. Anderson said...

Garnhumlan ~ sure! all of the links for Episode 20 are right here including Hue Loco:

http://susanbanderson.blogspot.com/2015/11/episode-20-antrorse-sweater-more.html

Unknown said...

I'm curious how many pair of socks you have knit. I love your sock drawer pictures since I am a sock knitting addict.