Saturday, September 08, 2012

A Sunshine Handspun Yarn Story


Hi, Knitters,
This past week an accomplishment happened, albeit minor in many ways. I finished spinning the best yarn I have spun to date. I don't know what happened but the last two yarns I spun have all of a sudden seemed hugely improved somehow. It makes me excited to see this sudden improvement when it has been such a gradual learning process. Really, I don't know that anyone else could even see the improvement but I feel and see it in the yarn. There is something better going on in there. I have been spinning for a little under two years now so hopefully things will continue on an uphill climb in the technique area. Spinning is such a good thing.

With that being said, I am excited to share my latest yarn creation with you.

Here is the information:
Roving: Sunshine Yarns, 100% superwash merino, 8 oz., Desert Cactus
Yarn: 596 yards total of a sport weight (Remember, this is only a guess until I start knitting and I enjoy that.)
3-ply: 564 yards
Navajo ply: 32 yards (I Navajo plied the uneven remaining singles left on two of the bobbins.)

 This is the roving directly out of the bag.

 The pre-drafted roving wound into gigantic fluffy balls are anxiously awaiting the wheel. I divided and weighed it into three-parts at 2 5/8 oz. for each section. The division worked out perfectly to get 3 very even bobbins of singles.

 I purposely tried to spin pretty thin because I knew it was going to be a 3-ply yarn in the end and I didn't want it to be too thick.

 Three beautiful, full bobbins of singles are rested and waiting to be plied. That biggest bobbin there in the front was deceiving, it was the first to run out when plying.

 I was completely enraptured once I began plying. 

 One plied bobbin done. The plied singles filled two bobbins.

The colors are wonderfully subtle and complex. From farther away it looks gray. Up close you can see bursts of orange, purple, green, and charcoal mixed in. 



 The finished yarn is lofty and light as air.

I have decided that I am going to knit a modified Quaker Ridge Shawlette right along with the knitalong group. I think this yarn is going to make a beautiful shawl. We start the knitalong tomorrow, September 9th. You can join in anytime on the thread, all are welcome, but today is the last day to sign up to be eligible for the giveaway drawings I am lining up.

The turn out has been spectacular. We have hundreds knitting along and joining in. Thank you! We are going to have so much fun. I have even gotten some wholesale yarn store pattern sales through the Ravelry approved local yarn stores program which is great.



And we're off!
best, susie

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your handspun is beautiful! It will be interesting to see it knit. I love the subtle colours peeking through. My kind of yarn! :) sammatrav

Sara said...

You've come a long way, Baby! Gorgeous yarn!
Sara

(Guild is this Monday.)

Deborah said...

Your handspun yarn looks pretty! Looking forward to photos of it knit into the shawl. I have just started spinning again after over a year of focusing on knitting. It has come back to me almost like riding a bike. So relaxing! I cann't wait to start knitting with everyone tomorrow on the Quaker Ridge Shawlette.

Luna Grey Fiber Arts said...

Beautiful! I am inspired to grab my wheel and start spinning again (after a lengthy, unintended break). Can't wait to see it knit up!

-Jackie

thewalshfam said...

Your handspun I always so beautiful and inspiring! I would really love to become a spinner, but with 3 little ones, I'm not sure this is the time to start another hobby! For now I will live vicariously through you! Thanks for sharing!

sally said...

Your yarn is lovely. Who would think there would be so much color when looking at the pre-drafted roving? I wonder what the magic amount of spun yardage is for feeling you've finally GOT IT.

Brandi Schoch said...

Your spun yarn is gorgoeus. Looove it!

Desiree said...

That yarn is stunning. :)

kmvdvm said...

wow, your handspun yarn is gorgeous. simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Very nice spinning - it will make a beautiful QRS! I am enjoying the pattern & KAL! Thank you!

Auntea said...

Beautiful yarn, can't wait to get a wheel someday. I was at the Madison Farmer's market this weekend and thanks to your post last week, watched for and found some gorgeous Jacob wool yarn. But I'm bummed, the sweet young man who I bought it from didn't have any of their info on the tag, nor was there a business card in the bag. So I can't get any more of it. I don't live in WI, I was just visiting so I can't go back this weekend and look for him. Maybe he'll be there again next summer when I am visiting my friend.

Nadia said...

The skeins look lovely! I especially like the different shades in it - they bring the yarn to life. Great spinning!

Stefanie said...

Love it. Grey w/any color is so amazing. I can feel your smile and happiness all the way across the country.

idiosyncratic eye said...

I'm a-knitting! :)

Miss Julep said...

WOW! What beautiful yarn!! Thanks for all of the progress photos, which are wonderful!