Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Shawl Beginnings


Hi Knitters,
I shared this gigantic hank of my handspun a couple of weeks ago. The yarn is spun from two 4 oz. braids of Dyeabolical fiber. I was able to get over 1,000 yards of a fingering weight yarn. It is just kind of a fun and crazy hank of yarn.


The other morning I wound the enormous hank into a yarn cake on my not-so-trusty and very old ball winder. It went surprisingly well.


Here is what I got! It's so cool.

The handspun cake is so huge compared to a wound ball of Quince & Co. Lark which is 134 yards.


And off I go knitting on Laura Linneman's Thin Ice shawl. Last Sunday morning was beautiful weather-wise, and I sat outside with my family enjoying the fresh air and sunshine and I worked away on my Thin Ice. It was a lovely morning. 

The shawl is divided up into different sections of stitch patterns, including a section of stockinette stitch, which keeps things interesting. It is incredibly fun and fast to work on and the handspun makes it even better if that's possible. I highly recommend this pattern. I can't wait to finish and block it out. This will be my first handspun shawl.

Well, I just have this quick knitterly share with you today! I hope all is well with you, dear Knitters.
See you back here soon.
best, susie

11 comments:

Rachel said...

I told you those two braids would look good together! :D I love the way it is knitting up!

Amy said...

I have the same ball winder. :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colours. :)

Sam I Am...... said...

It's beautiful yarn. I love all the colors and how you can really see them when you started knitting with it. I love that pattern too...I may have to try it...it's sounds like it may not be too difficult for me...hopefully!

Dianne@sheepdreams said...

Beautiful yarn! It's going to make a gorgeous shawl and the fact that it's your very own handspun will make it really special. Love all the colors. I'm thinking yet another shawl is going on my 'must knit' list.

pekecrazy said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished shawl! Just lovely!

Dorothy said...

lovely yarn and the pattern seems very versatile and so pretty finished. You really made good progress on it.

barb said...

Beautiful yarn. I am always so anxious to see your finished project.

barb said...

Beautiful yarn. I am always so anxious to see your finished project.

Brandi Schoch said...

wow that yarn is colorful I can't wait to see your FO.

LoriAngela said...

Love, love the handspun! I liked knitting Thin Ice, too, in fibernymphs "On a Winter's Morn".
Yours is so beautiful, it will knit up quickly.