Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Super Sock Update


Hi Knitters,
I adore handknit stockinette stitch socks. There isn't much better when it comes to knitting projects and usefulness. My girls also adore handknit stockinette stitch socks. In fact, I have an entire dresser drawer designated for handknit socks only. My girls have found my drawer of handknit treasures and they have been making it their own this past fall and winter. I don't mind sharing but honestly, I really need to make more socks. Instead of making socks for my feet only I am now providing socks for all three of us. I can't blame them for enjoying handknit socks, they are simply the best.

With this in mind, I have been working on lots and lots of socks lately. I like having several (or more) socks on the needles at the same time. I keep them in small project bags (click here for my favorite bags) that are always loaded up with a small scissors, a tape measure, and a yarn needle. I love knitting socks because that's all you need and you are set for hours of fun. The project is small and portable and easy! But you probably already know all of that so let's get on to my current sock rundown.

Above is the the hard-to-get Watermelon Striping yarn from Freshisle Fibers being worked on Signature Needles dpns in US size 1. This first sock of the pair has been to several swim meets with me. The yarn is a single ply and it is a heavy fingering weight so it is not an easy knit on the US size 1 needles but I am determined to make the fabric as dense as possible so they will last longer.


I haven't made much progress on the Unisono sock I shared last week. I've just started a bit of the heel flap. The needles are Knit Picks dpns in US size 3.


This is the second sock for my beloved new pair of Opal socks. I bought the yarn here. I am knitting these socks on US size 1 dpns from Knit Picks. I have turned the heel and I am decreasing for the gusset. I will have this one finished in no time. This sock came with me to the swim meet last weekend where I made great progress.


This is the second sock of the Candy Corn Vesper Self-Striping sock yarn. I love these and they came to Vogue Knitting Live with me last fall. After Halloween came and went I kind of set these aside to work on other socks. I will get them done for next fall for sure!

The needles are Blackthorn US size 1 dpns. The needles are really unusual and I like them. They are not as slick as metal but they are very sharp which I love.


An assortment of sock knitting is always a good thing. If you have lots of choices going you always have something that will strike your fancy at any moment.

Are you knitting socks right now? I'd love to hear about it!


As a quick side note, TC finished another hat just the other day. She is obsessed with the Crystal Palace Mochi yarn series. She has knit hats and booties from all of the weights of the Mochi yarn. This particular hat is made out of the Chunky Mochi yarn on US size 9 needles. TC is donating this hat to a local knitting group that donates baby hats and blankets to various organizations throughout the year. I think they are meeting this weekend so she is excited to have something to donate when she goes off to knit.

The pattern for this single skein hat for the Chunky Mochi yarn is available by clicking here and is called the Chunky Mochi Baby Hat. TC actually designed this hat and I wrote up the pattern for her. It is an adorable quick knit that would be an excellent baby gift.

Okay, Knitters, I'm off to knit, knit, knit! I have so many projects going for books and other pattern stuff. There is never enough time in the day. I hope you are all doing well.
best, susie

37 comments:

Unknown said...

I am jealous of how fast you complete projects! I have really horrible tennis elbow right now, and I can't knit at all. It's killing me.
I have a set of the blackthorn needles and I love LOVE them!

Suzanne said...

You are a sock queen! I just laid out all of my handknit socks to dry after a good wash. I looked down and saw six pairs. It surprised me because I used to be afraid of socks. Not anymore.

Anonymous said...

TC's hat is adorable! I have been trying to figure out how you fit it all in, your knitting, writing, and family life, how do you balance it all?

I am really enjoying your all of your new updates and ideas on your blog. I was inspired to cast on some fingerless mitts in Madelinetosh Merino DK, it's fun to break away from my usual yarns and big needles!

Anonymous said...

I am finding sock knitting absolutely addictive, I'm on my fourth pair since Christmas, and I made three pairs before Christmas as presents too! I really love the watermelon yarn, and your orange, yellow and white pair are really striking!

Sunrise Knitter said...

Do you have a favorite 'plain sock' pattern?

Sunrise Knitter said...

Do you have a favorite 'plain sock' pattern?

Sally said...

Oooh...must check out those blackthorn needles. My fave sock needles are Susan Bates Quicksilver (not Sivalume). But I'm always on the lookout for new brands to try. My current socks on the needles are a pair of Zora using Colinette Jitterbug in Oyster Blush (although I'm calling them my Hot Chocolate socks. ;) Beautiful knitting Susan! Thanks for sharing!

Megan said...

Gasp~ Signature double points!...Lucky you!!

I just finished my Cedar Leaf Shawlette and am waiting for my Soak in Aqua scent to get here so I can block it. I think I am knitting shawls like you are knitting socks.

Renee Anne said...

I, too, am knitting socks. I have a pair going using htNEVELE sock yarn that I bought at Lakeside Fibers a couple years ago...it's a stockinette pair because, well, the yarn is too busy for a pattern. I think I'm using Signature DPNs for that (#1s).

I also have a pare of Honey Badger socks going out of Cascade sock yarn of some sort...I'm using Kollage's square DPNs for those (#1s).

I think my third pair of socks are a pair of self-designed baby socks that have been in hiding for awhile. If I remember correctly, the yarn is Trekking XXL (leftover from my first pair of socks) and I'm using my #1 Blackthorn DPNs for those.

I love socks...they just take forever :)

Sam I Am...... said...

Beautiful socks and I love the cardigan too....I was behind on your posts so I had to play "catch up"!
Thank you for telling us the needle brands and sizes and the yarn. I am always loving a recommendation! I love the cow...TOO CUTE!!! I 'm working on my second oven mitt to match the first. I want to do socks as I've never tried them...but thinking may be that will be next! I want to make that candy corn pair. Although I loved every yarn you showed! Thanks again!

Julia said...

I just love the Chunky Mochi Baby hat pattern! I have made many hats for baby showers and charity knitting with that pattern! It is always a big hit! The Chunky Mochi yarn is also wonderful to knit with. Now you have me wanting to knit through PTA tonight! Not sure the principal is going to like that! :)

kristie said...

I love the colors in the Unisono socks! Size 3's look so tiny!

Rae Lynne said...

Such lovely socks you have on the needles! I'm impressed with your ability to have so many things going at once. Although I like to believe that I'm okay with several things going at a time, I find I stress myself out too much and end up working on one project so it's complete so I can start on the next.

Then again...as you said....multiple projects means you never go without something to knit!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could knit on DPNs, so jealous! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I wish I could knit on DPNs, so jealous! :)

Debbie1085 said...

Yes, I am knitting socks using magic loop since dpns and I aren't friends. I hesitated for a long time because they looked complicated but they are NOT!! Wish I did it a long time ago. The bag in the first picture is very interesting. Did you make it? I really like it because it holds everything you need when knitting.

Debbie1085 said...

Yes, I am knitting socks using magic loop since dpns and I aren't friends. I hesitated for a long time because they looked complicated but they are NOT!! Wish I did it a long time ago. The bag in the first picture is very interesting. Did you make it? I really like it because it holds everything you need when knitting.

Sarah in Houston said...

Just love the candy corn socks. They would be perfect for me as a first grade teacher! I love making socks, too. I love seeing the different kinds of yarns you have used. Great new ideas for me. I'm part of the Sockoholics group on ravelry - it's great fun. I'm making Dyed Jems Yarn Co. Lattice Socks right now. Very cool!

Unknown said...

So many pretty socks and beautiful yarn.
I haven't knit socks because I don't like knitting the same thing twice :)

Stefanie said...

Ooh, all that sock knitting looks so fun!
I love TC's hat; it's adorable.
I'm slowly working on my second, Mai Tai @ the HHV (Hilton Hawaiian Village - Oahu) sock. It's mindless as I made note of everything I did on sock #1 so I have a formula to follow.
I'm itchin' to buy some small project bags for sock projects; Suzanne's podcast and now you talking about them are causing me to be excited for Stitches West which is coming up and so I'll be hunting for bags then :O).

Reneelynn said...

I have 3 pairs of socks on needles right now but I knit them with 2 circular needles ( addi turbos) which I greatly prefer. I'm trying to finish up a pair of Yoga socks for my daughter for Valentine's Day! Love the yarns you have chosen!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I actually love dyeing sock yarn, but very rarely am knitting socks these days. I love them, but they just don't hold my interest - give me a good worsted weight or bulky project!

Becky said...

You are an amazing sock knitter and very inspirational! I am currently trying to complete the mystery sock KAL from Through the Loops, http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ttl-mystery-sock-2012

The pattern is beautiful and has tested my skills. I am much more proficient with the dpns.

Ellen G said...

Making knit 3, purl 1 ribbed socks (ala Susie Anderson) in Jitterbug Pink Tweed color way.

Phyllis said...

I've never knit socks before, but you are inspiring me to try. Do you use the same pattern for most of your socks? Also loved the hat pattern and bought it. Thanks for all your wonderful knitting and ideas!! Phyllis

Anonymous said...

I Susan, I would love to make socks but every time I tried, there is always 1 sock longuer than the other...I have a lot of difficulty to pick up stitches after the heel. Unfortunatly, I don't know anybody knitting around me so I'm self learning on the Internet...it's a bit difficult! I prefet to knit hats because there's juste on to make! Have a good day! Sophie from Québec, Canada

B Daniel said...

I just finished my first pair of socks last night and I couldn't stop staring at my feet! I can't wait to do more!

steph said...

always, always, always have socks on the needles!!!! but right now, the only "active" ones are some dorm socks for hubby that ride in the car with me--sort of the RR crossing/wait in line at the bank socks. Amazingly enough, I'm nearly done with the second one--that's a heck of a lot of waiting!!!!

Laurie said...

Love the socks....what pattern are you using? Looks like a good one for me to start with!

Anonymous said...

we just finished, last night, a class on knitting socks. i took pictures of everyone's socks and posted them on our facebook page (we are Unwind Knit and Fibre Lounge in Gibsons, BC) We had a master knitter lead us through the class and I learned so much! She helped me fine tune our "unwind socks" pattern. Next week we are starting a class to learn how to knit lace from a chart. Some of the sock knitters have signed up for that class.
I enjoy your blog and have referred several customers to read it! Thanks Kim

Craftiknitter said...

Your Opal socks inspired me to start knitting socks again!!! I love that I can knit them in the carpool line, in the waiting room, etc and they just seem to get done on their own. ;)

Craftiknitter said...

Your Opal socks inspired me to start knitting socks again!!! I love that I can knit on them in the carpool line, waiting for appointments, etc and they just seem to get done on their own. ;)

Joanne said...

I love that you're not afraid of bright colors for you socks. I'm constantly making socks, too, and determined to make a minimum of a pair per month. So far I'm ahead of schedule.

What is the color of the Opal yarn? It's beautiful. My next pair will be using Opal Van Gogh Starry Night.

Joanne
joanne @ jconklin . com

tothfamily25 said...

oh I am inspired to try and knit socks, Kind of a newbie, do you have a pattern for your socks??

Thanks

Desiree said...

Very awesome! I started the Citron Cowl and still working on it and you have completed so much since then! You have inspired me to start a cute pair of socks! I love the watermelon ones :) Keep the awesome projects coming!

Bonnie said...

You are a very talented and skilled knitter and I am grateful for the inspiration.

Bonnie said...

I am grateful for your skill and talents and willingness to share them -