Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fiber to Baby Sweater

Hi Knitters,
A couple months ago I shared some fiber from Maine Woods Fiber that was sent to me through a swap I joined on the Itty-Bitty Knits group on Ravelry. The generous Rae Lynne sent me this fiber to spin in the Hyacinths colorway.
I divided the fiber into three sections and spun onto three bobbins.
I plied the bobbins to make a three-ply hank of dk weight yarn.
I think there was maybe close to 200 yards in the hank.
I spun a tiny hank of two-ply with the leftovers on the bobbins. After I finished spinning I decided to surprise Rae Lynne and send the finished handspun right back to her.
To my delight Rae Lynne knitted the handspun yarn into this adorable baby sweater.

Read about the sweater right here!

The whole thing was so much fun from the swap to the spinning to the surprising and finally to seeing the finished baby sweater. I thought you might enjoy this fiber adventure, too. Thanks to Rae Lynne for sharing this with me.

Now to finish up I have a few links for you:

Happy Wednesday! I hope your summer knitting is going well this year.
best, susie

12 comments:

Linda said...

What a lovely blog post, so nice to follow the process from beginning to end:)

Tammy Fulinara said...

Hi Susan,
I have the crochet hooks and I wouldn't use anything else. Love them!
Thanks for sharing all your creativity.
Tammy

Rae Lynne said...

Lovely post, Susan! Thanks for sharing that with everyone! :)

Anonymous said...

The is the most gorgeous fiber, yarn, baby sweater I've ever seen! Awesome. Thanks for sharing!
Tammie
homebody62565@yahoo.com

millefeuilles said...

Beautiful blog post! I feel all happy and bouncy now.

The blue is so uplifting (I can smell summer here) and stunning with the different coloured buttons.

Thank you for sharing with us.

My One and Only said...

Susan, the yarn and little jumper are adorable! Beautiful work and bravo to both of you!
Video with JR knitting - was quite funny and her laugh is so contagious.
Thank you for sharing!
~ Iryna

Stefanie said...

What a way to do a circle of yarn Susan! She'll always remember its history whenever her baby wears the garment.
Great YouTube link on how to do a felted join. Beats having to weave in two more ends!
I like those crochet hooks also. Oooh!

knittingknirvana said...

Loved watching the collaborative creation of Rae Lynne's baby's sweater. Such fun!

There is a little yarn shop in Lake Placid, NY that offers rug hooking classes and kits. I really want to give it a try. Also, have you seen the tote bags made out of the canvas from rug hooking? They are GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

Susan,
What books or videos do you recommend a beginner spinner? I do not have a local yarn shop.
Tammie
homebody62565@yahoo.com

camby said...

The video of the guys knitting was so funny!

paws said...

That sweater is one of the cutest I've ever seen!

Z said...

The buttons on the side are just too cute!