Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I Purled My Knit

Hi Knitters,
Do you see it there on the rib? I do and I'm leaving it in. That's how I roll sometimes. I think it is funny. I am sure it was dark when I did that.
My son's Track Jacket is in the works again. I started it last summer and finished the back and fronts only to find out it was too small even with additional length added. I reluctantly ripped it out. That's just a whole lot of brown stockinette stitch to rip out. I let it stew around for a bit but realized there wasn't any other good solution.

The yarn is Spud & Chloƫ Sweater in the Chipmunk colorway. It is gorgeous.
Here is attempt number two, size XL with added length in the body and arms. He is a long-john with very broad shoulders. This second version is my Ravelympics project for Team Itty-Bitty Knits. I am not trying to be negative but I highly doubt I'll finish within the time frame. I have too much going on to believe I will finish but I am trying to get as far as I can. Every minute I am not doing "work" knitting or writing I am trying to work on the Track Jacket. I have to say it is kind of fun to be working on a big huge sweater when all I've been doing lately are little knitted things. The Ravelympics are definitely giving me a kick start in getting this project done. That is a good thing. I'll just do the best I can.
TC went to her Girl Scout meeting at a friend's house last week and made this wonderful sun-catcher blue icicle making thing. It is colored ice that was in an aluminum pie tin. Today is the first icicle I've seen. I can't wait for her to see it after school.
I love it.
best, susie

18 comments:

Christine said...

you could unravel the whole stitch above and pick it up with a crochet hook..not that much time and with such a gorgeously knit sweater....I bet you'll ALWAYS see that stitch BWAHAHAHA

ok..whatever makes you happy.

luv ya, Christine

Anonymous said...

very fun.... I don't live near the snow so I enjoy seeing your pics.

Thanks,
K

JB said...

I made a calorimetry for my mom w/ a purl on the knit - it's right in the center, darn it. I told her over the phone before I sent it, like it was something to be ashamed of (as if anyone will ever notice). By the way, that icy suncatcher is awesome.

Laurelena said...

Hi Susan!

My friend and I are big fans of your books. We each made a Giraffe and blogged about a playdate with them.
We didn't plan on both making giraffes, it just happened that way!

We'd be tickled if you checked it out!

http://kniftyred.blogspot.com/
http://laurelena.blogspot.com/

Susan B. Anderson said...

Christine, I know how to fix it:) I just don't want to.

I am funny, that stitch really won't bother me a bit.

Sara in WI said...

I love that Chipmunk colorway! It looks so chocolaty! TC, the Suncatcher/icicle maker is beautiful. Can you tell us how you made it, pretty please?

Mommy, I'm Home said...

I barely noticed it. I'd leave it personally, but what do I know. I've only been knitting three months...

Love the sun catcher. Might have to make one here as well.

Sally said...

As my mom always said, "It'll never be seen on a galloping horse." Isn't that funky? But I say it all the time!

barb said...

Susan, I am with you. There are times a purl in a knit row is like a pearl. It is special and adds character to the jacket. I am glad you left it. It also reminds me that even an artist can make a "special" stitch.

Lori said...

embrace the purl! i always think about the way the amish purposely put one block into their quilts in an incorrect orientation, so as not to offend God by suggesting that they are perfect.

yeah, that's it. i made that purl on purpose.

Judi A. said...

Like Lori, I immediately thought of the Amish deliberately putting a "mistake" in their creations so as to not put themselves on the same level as God. I also thought you could point it out to your son and tell him you placed it there so that every time he sees it, he will remember that you love him.:-)

Anonymous said...

I just did that with a hat and was so mad at myself. Just one of those meaningless slip-ups because I was too engrossed in a movie and forgot what I was doing. I left mine too : ). It gives it some character!

knittingknirvana said...

I seriously can't see the mistake stitch. It must not be too bad, then. :) Perhaps TC could be a guest poster and tell us how she made her sun catcher. That thing is awesome!! :)

Siena said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog and had to post a link to it and one of your tutorials on my blog. I also used a picture of your daughters ice art - I hope this is ok, if not please let me know and I will remove it.

Lovely blog by the way!

SockPixie said...

I know how you must feel knitting miles of stockinette for a giant! The purl stitch is your little trademark!

Rachel said...

Go Susie Go!

YOU CAN DO IT--stockinette and good tunes...put on some moldy oldies and rock out while clickin' your sticks...a good movie or even some small breaks between work knits...even if it's not totally finished the bulk of it will give you a great boost of motivation to get it done for that special someone before the warm season hits. Think of how handsome he'll look in it...GO SUSIE GO!!!

:)

Whew, I need to put those pom poms down for a minute, I'm going to hurt myself.

LOL!

Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

I, too, thought of the Amish quilts - and I, too, would keep right on knitting. Way too much to rip out for something so small.

I'm with Rachel - you can do it!

Kathie said...

Cool icicle thingy