Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My Little Corner

Hi Knitters,
No matter how hard I try to keep my tiny little studio space clean and tidy it never lasts long. Piles start forming on the floor, needles are strewn about, yarn and yarn labels are everywhere. And there I sit in my little corner of the world, smack dab in the middle of the mess working away like mad.
A short while ago I bought a pack of three canvas bags at Jo Ann's. I thought it would be fun to take a cheap canvas bag and turn it into a mini-work of art. I have a bunch of stacks of fat quarters that I ordered from here and some other odds and ends of fabric. I get to visit Spool which is right next to Loops in Philadelphia in March. Can't wait!
I made pockets and lined the inside of the bag. This is where my measuring skills leave something to be desired. The lining turned out a bit shorter than the canvas bag. I turned my error into a really cool design feature. I found a piece of coordinating fabric and I folded it in half. I ran stitch lines across and down to create a fun texture. I stitched it on to the top of the lining so it would stick out of the bag. How cute is that?
It looks so cool. I cut the measly original straps and covered and added on some fun fabric straps so I could wear the bag over my shoulder. Before I put in the lining, I sewed a checkerboard pattern with a pink thread on the canvas. Also, I cut out a few squares and stitched them on the thread pattern. The edges will fray with time, which I adore.
I have to have pockets no matter what. I added two good sized pockets in opposite fabrics on each side of the lining. As I was sewing I noticed my studio getting messier and messier. Sewers must have a lot of mess to keep up with. How do they do it?
The bag stands up so nicely. I love the little gap at the sides, it gives it a little character. The canvas forms like an outer shell.I love the mismatch of it all. Always will. The only time I don't mind ironing is when I am sewing.
What is it about canvas? It's so clean and natural and blank.

Stay tuned to see what I whipped up with some adorable kitchen towels...
On a side note, we made our annual marshmallow snowmen for The Collector's class. They are so fun. 3 marshmallows stacked on a sucker stick, dipped in melted white chocolate (the kind of chocolate discs from Vanilla Bean (Madison people) that melt in the microwave).
Mini-chocolate chips for faces and buttons. Fruit roll-ups make the scarves and a Rolo with a Peach Ring adhered with white frosting top it all off.
We wrapped up the treats in cellophane bags with a golden twisty tie.
Someone was very pleased which makes it all worthwhile!

Have a good rest of the week.
best, susie

18 comments:

Kar said...

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has issues with their little corner. :) Love the bag! You can never have too many pockets.

The snowmen are great! How fun that must have been making them up with TC.

xxxx

ImplausibleYarn said...

My corner also tends to get piles and clutter pretty fast. I love your idea about the bags! I love the different fat quarters and colors and everything. Also, marshmallow and chocolate, a winning combination!

Erin said...

What an awesome bag!!

Unknown said...

Susan, you knit, sew and cook all too well! How I wish I can be just 1/10 as good as you...

Stefanie said...

Teachers and kids really appreciate it when parents take the time to make something for them and the class. I have good memories of my mom baking for my class. One tough parent at my old school came back after graduation and made me heart shaped brownies! Your kids' teachers are so lucky as you must knit them something for appreciation. I knitted my daughter's teacher and her daughter some simple beanies w/a flower on it.

Judi A. said...

Susan, Loooove your bag! It helps that all shades of pink are my most favorite colors, but I know for a fact that I would never have the ideas that you had for "fixing" that bag. I like the pink stitching on the canvas so much, and your little patches of fabric (pockets?) just "make it." You can definitely carry it with pride. :-)

Rebekah B. said...

My creative space is always a mess too - good to hear it's normal! LOVE the bag... there's something about bags, can't have enough. And the snowmen look good enough to eat! That's so fun! What a great idea, maybe I'll try it with my kids?

Oiyi said...

I am in the middle of trying to organize my corner which has gotten out of hand. Especially since it's in my bedroom.

I think all of us creative types can't keep our spaces clean. When I am creating, I am in the moment and can't be bothered to clean up.

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

Your bag is a little masterpiece! And I am jealous: I simply cannot sew. It is an art that escapes me.

And the snowmen turned out adorable.

barb said...

I adore your canvas bag. I especially like the little gaps between the bag and the lining. You could tuck knitting needles into them.
I would like to see a wider view of your work space. If you call that little pile a "mess", I need to stop and clean. Here you are, a designer, and your space looks like mine when it IS CLEAN!

Rachel said...

Dreaming of gooey marshmallow snowmen and wondering why "my corner" is way messier than yours. I wouldn't even dare post a pic of mine on my blog...or yours!!!

:GRIN:

2 Thumbs up on the bag!!!

Katie B said...

Love how you made the canvas bag so fancy! Great idea.

And the snowmen...too cute. I bet the kids loved those.

feathermar said...

When we make marshmellow snowmen, we use curling ribbon for scarves and giant gumdrops with a toothpick for hats! And mini marshmellows on toothpicks for arms. But I've never dipped 'em in white chocolate...and I can hardly wait to try!

Sara in WI said...

Yum to the snowmen! But about the bag....It isn't knit. I don't do sewing. Anything that I have ever sewn has been a disaster. But your bag is wonderful...LLLLUUVVVV it!

Heather said...

My studio space never stays clean for more than a few hours, mainly because the little ones are always in it, so I understand compltly.
I always love when designs, like your bag, turn out so different than we originally thought. It just makes things much more fun. The bag is really neat, and looks incredibly functional as well

Nicole said...

Susan,
I just bought some washcloth patterns from your shop and didn't quite realize that they would be arriving via mail. I thought they were pdf files that came immediately to my inbox. It isn't a big deal but I was going to use them for a last minute gift, due early next week. I assume that since you are a busy mama, that it is unrealistic to expect them so quickly. Is this correct? I have one of your books, so I can always substitute something from there, but those butterfly washcloths are soooo cute, I would prefer to give those if at all possible.
-n

Susan B. Anderson said...

Nicole,
I sent out your patterns via email yesterday, right when I got your order. I found the email and forwarded it to you again.

Maybe check your spam?

Thanks for the order.
susan

lwzenke said...

my kids want me to be you! great bag. thanks for the snowman idea. we have a birthday soon! the snowmen are perfect. you are keeping me going this winter with lots of fun projects.