Monday, December 21, 2009

Snooty Snood Deux

Hi Knitters,
Fast and furious today! Late last night I hurriedly finished a second Snooty Snood by Gina Hills. I will be giving it away for Christmas. The Collector gave me permission to take her photo this morning but threw in a brusque, "Hurry up!" So I jumped to it as ordered. She is on fire over Christmas.
Baby Alpaca Grande Tweed, color 100. 2 skeins, none left. US size 13 needles.
There are some funny mistakes in this one but I am okay with that. I'll never tell and it looks good to me!


I get asked this every time, the yarn cubbies in the background are old and from Sundance catalog. I don't even get that catalog any longer, is it still around? I used to order from there every once in a while. Cool stuff. Robert Redford style.

I've got to run. My boys' high school swim team is coming over for dinner tonight for Chinese. That's close to 40 people total. My older daughter had already planned a sleep over for three friends as well. Poor planning. All I have to do is provide the house and make dessert. Everything else is being taken care of for us. It should be fun but I need to clean and bake and clean some more!

One other exciting bit of news is that my oldest son has just been accepted in the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He is so excited as it is the only place he has ever wanted to go to college. He only applied for one other school. I've never seen anyone so set on one school. There was no doubt in his mind. I would have felt so sad for him if it didn't work out. But it did! Phew!

We have a long family history at the UW-Madison with loads of family members going to college here, including my husband and me, and my dad who was a professor at the UW-Madison for over 30 years. The campus is the reason we grew up and lived in Madison, I was born shortly after my dad got his position on the faculty. My husband played football for the Badgers as well. In general, we are just Madison people through and through and we love it to death here so it isn't hard for us to understand why my son feels so strongly. In fact, I feel good that we have passed on our love for our great little city and our great big college.

What a gift for the season. I don't need anything else. Now, I get to breathe a big sigh of relief.

Happiness lives on!
best, susie

18 comments:

KCina said...

Congrats to your son!!

You guys have a wonderful Christmas and may 2010 be another wonderful year for you & your family.

~ Kathy (Hillsboro, Oregon)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! My younger sister just got accepted to UW Wisconsin as well, she felt the same way about the school. My aunt, uncle, and cousins live in Madison so we grew up spending a lot of time there.

Happy holidays!

Betz White said...

Your post made me tear up. My husband doesn't have the same nostalgia for Madison that I do or we'd move back in a minute. Congrats to your son! (and to you for having him close by!)

Jersey Shore Deb said...

Congratulations! Although we live in New Jersey, we have a nephew at UW-Madison and my daughter who is a high school junior is very interested in the school. Maybe our paths will cross if she gets in next year!

Katie said...

Congratulations! Big Days for All! Does he know what field he will be pursuing? Take care.

Sandee said...

Fantastic news about your son! I have a son the same age and he has sent out 4 apps. So far has heard back from 2 and had been accepted. We are still waiting for the one from our local BIG university here in our state. (Where my husband and I are alums) Our university is also a "UW", but the W is for a different state.

Now you can start to knit things for him in the UWisc colors!

Ertman-Trowbridge Family said...

Congrats to your boy! I have several relatives who have made their way through UW-Madison. (I chose a MI university.) I wish all the warm wishes in the world for the coming several years.

(Are you feeling old, having a son entering college???)

susie said...

congratulations to your son! The Sundance catalog is alive and well. I receive it all the time. I bet you could sign up on the website or just browse there.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Jessica said...

Love the snooty snood and congrats to your son! My parents are both Wisconsin alums; my dad grew up a mile or so from the foodball stadium and still goes to every home game even though we live in Chicago. What a relief that must be for all of you!

tcsd said...

the sundance catalog does still exist and they have a website, too. i didn't know they sold furniture, though. or maybe they don't anymore. it's really cute for storage!

knittingknirvana said...

Congratulations to your son!!! And the family tradition continues. :)

Your snood is great! BTW, every time I see T.C. in one of your photo shoots I think that she must be hot-blooded! She seems to love her t-shirts and shorts. :)

I thought your yarn bins were antique grain bins from an old store. Ha! My imagination fills in the gaps. :)

Jodi said...

On Wisconsin, from one alum to another! Congrats to your son. I liked UW so much I went back for my MA there.

The snood looks lovely.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to you and your son. I live in Lexington, KY (and yes I am a friend of Dianne McD) but I am a Badger from a million years ago. What a wonderful school, campus and city. I miss it all. I am so happy for your family to pass on the tradition. Merry Christmas (I made my sister a Snooty Snood for her cold Milwaukee days). Thanks for all of the ideas and inspiration.

Lisa said...

Congrat to your son!! We lived in Madison for a while during my husband's days (years!) at the university. I think it's been our favorite place to live ever! We still have friends that attend there too.
Merry Christmas and On Wisconsin!
Lisa in Milwaukee

Denise said...

Merry Christmas Susan, I finally got your new book and can't wait to knit next year ;)

Becky Holmes said...

Varsity, varsity, u rah rah WISCONSIN!

rohanknitter said...

Congrats to your son!
The catalog is still around, I love it and I'm always thinking i'll get something from it but I never do - a little pricey I guess.
The new kitchen is AMAZING

Barbara said...

Merry Christmas Susan to you and yours. I love seeing pictures of the collector madeling your things. She has such a beautiful smile. Love the snotty snood by the way.