Sunday, February 01, 2009

Crochet Girl

Hi Knitters,
Yesterday, The Collector asked if she could crochet some granny squares. Oh yeah. That would be great so she could help me finish my granny square blanket that's been languishing in a box. I'm always thinking about that blanket. It would be really fun if she could contribute some squares. I see she's got her "good morning hair" going in these shots. I love that scruffly morning hair.

This morning I said I would teach her granny squares but she had to learn a few basic crochet things first. She sat right beside my chair in my studio and I taught her to chain and single crochet. This was my view of her from my chair.
She picked some Manos Cotton Stria and a hook out of my box of hooks. It was slow going at first, a real struggle, but I reminded her that she just needed to practice. Pretty soon she started getting the hang of it, really in a matter of minutes.
Work, work, work.
Hmmm, hmmm.
Before I knew it she asked me to tie her self-crocheted necklace around her neck.

Gladly.

Masterpiece.

best, susie

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute:) I can't wait for my daughter to ask me to teach her how to do needlework (she is 5:))

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Lovely necklace and color.

Becky said...

way to go girl! Love the necklace! I bet mom is proud :)

Anonymous said...

I have three daughters (27, 25, 23) and NOT ONE has caught the fiber bug. What is THAT about? Sure, they want ME to knit and crochet for them but I soooooooo wish they would learn so we could do it together when they came for visits. Oh well, I guess there's always grandchildren. Now THAT'S another something I'm wishing for.........someday. Thanks for the warm fuzzy. Have a super day!

Tracy Batchelder said...

How sweet! I love it!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh--look at that picture--she is just glowing! That is so priceless!

My 7yo has been bugging me to teach her to knit for awhile. Yesterday she really pinned me down and I said "Monday after school." It was the first thing she said this morning when she woke up "today is the day I learn to knit!" Wish me luck!!!

Jacqueline Reyna said...

This is great!!! I'm due to give birth to my first daughter any day now!! Hopefully she will want me to teach her to knit or crochet one day :-) Your daughter did a great job on her first necklace!!

jeanne said...

Hey Leslie: Hang in there! I think the "fiber bug" skips a generation! My granma taught me how to knit and crochet when I was 6. Some of the best memories I have of my granma are the projects we worked on "together" (I never finished anything, except scarves for my dolls). My mom can't knit/crochet to save her life! But MAN (!!!) can she cook!

Kristin Nicholas said...

Love those pics - Congrats on passing it on. Julia is asking too - we'll see how far we get.... It's going to be tough, i know. (Julia has those same cute cosy striped velour pants too - I'll have to show her your blog!) XO

Oiyi said...

Wonderful, I love it. I can't wait for the day my daughter shows interest. She is 1 yrs old so I have a long way to go.

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

To your daughter: Good job on the necklace!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

To your daughter: Good job on the necklace!

Maryjane said...

Oh, that's great! She did a wonderful job. My daughter is 8 and knows how to knit in the round with a basic knit stitch. I just love watching her do something that is so important to me, and hopefully to her someday too.

Annie said...

LOVE her necklace!
Watch out for disappearing yarn. Those fairies love to play with it.