Thursday, October 16, 2008

Catching Up

Hi Knitters,
I am just checking in briefly today. I had a very short reprieve, literally a couple of days, from deadline knitting so I pulled out a couple of projects I had started awhile ago. I have sung the praises of the Clapotis, written by the fabulous Kate Gilbert, many times. It is the absolute best scarf/wrap I have ever made. Last winter I wore my first Clapotis to death so I decided I would make another one.
I think I will love this new version just as much. I am knitting on US size 8 needles and using Lorna's Laces Lion and Lamb (50% wool, 50% Silk) in the Tuscany #403 colorway and I can't remember where I bought it. You need 4 skeins. It is a pricey project but well worth it in my eyes. Triple love it. I still have a long way to go before finishing but I love that there is no rush.
My Opal sock project is making way. You know what's interesting is that the long red stripe is actually two different colors. In a certain light you can see the ever so slight variation. I do wonder why they stuck those two close shades together. I think it would have been better to spread them out a bit. Oh well, still love the colorway #1702. 

I keep this project in my car and I only knit on it while I am waiting places for my kids. I never take my SewBendy bag out of the car. That way I know I will always have some knitting to work on while I wait. That's my Amy Butler fabric SewBendy bag. Check it out if you'd like, they have a few new bags on their etsy shop. I love my SewBendy bags so much. You should get one or put it on your Christmas list or give one to a knitter you love. I know I keep saying that but it's true. I have added their shop to my sidebar "favorites" so you can easily get to their shop any time.
I am amazed at the amount of knitting I can get done in little spurts of time. I have one whole sock done and a good start on the second. Those minutes add up to a lot of knitting.
I had a sweet surprise arrive in the mail the other day. My friend, Dianne, who lives on a farm near Lexington, KY, is so talented. We share a love of all things fall and pumpkin orange. She sent me two of the most beautiful skeins of her handspun yarn in, what else, pumpkin. I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened the box. It made me cry to think of her thoughtfulness and her generosity. I really can't believe my good fortune on this one. You should read her blog where she shares her daily life on the farm with her sheep and loads of other animals. She also shares recipes, knitting, spinning, dying, the list goes on and on. I love her charming, upbeat and practical style.
This huge fantastic pumpkin skein is 230 yards of a chunkier weight yarn. It reminds me of a Malabrigo or Manos yarn. It is thick and thin and soft and squishy. I can't wait to whip up something luscious with this, probably a scarf of some sort. I want to show this one off.
Also included was this skein of 135 yards of a slightly heavier worsted weight yarn. Maybe a hat with this would be just right. Her tag is adorable, the yarn is called, Sheep Dreams and her farm is called, Tanglewood Farm. The catch line is "home grown - hand dyed - handspun yarn from the farm." Perfect. Lovely. Appreciated.
The Collector picked out this pumpkin from the farm the other day. That's my kind of pumpkin, all interesting and colorful and imperfect. She found a bright orange one, too, but she liked this one even better. It's kind of spooky, right?

Okay, knitters, I am off for a quick run before my kids get home from school. This tired knitter needs some fresh air. Enough is enough.
best, susie

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought a pumpkin just like this one! I adore it.

Anonymous said...

What yummy yarn! And The Collector's pumpkin is The Best!

I made myself a new Clapotis, too. Mine is knit out of Universal 100% Bamboo in a splotchy purply color....love that pattern!
Sara

peaknits said...

What a lot of great catch up!! That orange is delicious!

Anonymous said...

Eeeek, I'm having orange wool envy!!!!

Katie said...

Hi Susan,

I just learned to spin and both of those pumpkin yarns are gorgeous! Do you ever go through a color phase? For awhile everything I bought was green, then it was mustard, now it is peaches and oranges. Maybe it is because I have been reading your blog plus the season.

Maureen said...

Love the handspun yarn, very autumnal looking. Great spooky pumpkin!

Tracy Batchelder said...

Love the Clapotis! I'm looking forward to finally getting to wear the one I made when the weather gets cooler.

Unknown said...

I love the spooky green pumpkin! And your SewBendy bag made me think again how I had been wanting one... so I went to etsy and bought one just now. ;-) It will be great for the Advent Forest I am knitting (from the new Mason Dixon book).

I haven't made a Clapotis yet, but I have a hank of beautiful hand-dyed silk stashed away for it...

Debbie

Alice Regan said...

Everything looks so delicious ...no not the pumpkins ...the yarn and projects!

But, I do love the pumpkins too! Don't you just love this time of year! So perfect for knitting!

paws said...

Does she sell these yarns? They're beautiful!

Anonymous said...

i love the clapotis, but i've read several places that the lorna's laces yarn tends to pill rapidly (sometimes before even finishing the project). have you had that same experience?

Susan B. Anderson said...

tcsd,
I have not had that same experience. I love Lorna's Laces. I will take a picture of the first clapotis and post it soon. It still looks after years of heavy use.
Thanks for asking.
susan