Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Back to Yarn

Hi Knitters,
I want to share with you a piece from the past. Do any of you own Rowan Children? It came out in 1989 and I am pretty sure it went out of print shortly after. This was another one of those dream-inspiring books. There are only twelve designs but really it had potential for many more. The booklet provided basic shapes but then any variety of patterns or colorwork could be placed into the sweaters. A skirt and hat pattern are included but it is mainly sweater patterns.
I love all of the sweaters included, Annabel Fox did an extraordinary job. Early on I was incredibly drawn to color-work. I was mesmerized by intarsia and fair-isle. You can see my love because the pages are tattered and torn and the book creases are covered with pieces of scotch tape. Due to the lack of material available at that time I nearly wore out everything I owned. That was fun, now I have too much to look at. I miss that kind of focus and cherishing.

I knitted 2 sweaters from the book, one for my niece and one for my son. I will try to find a picture of the sweater I knitted for my son. There is a great dragon design by Annabel where the tail of the dragon weaves around the body of the sweater. I initially was going to make the dragon but instead I knitted a plain sweater and duplicate stitched little people holding hands all around the tummy. It was really cute. I know I have a picture of him wearing that one.
This is the sweater I knitted for my niece. It is called Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary. Great name, I love it.
Here is my version. She is working hard to hold the sweater up with her chin, little sweetheart. It is crazy to believe that she is 20 years-old now. I asked my sister if she still had the sweater but she is not sure what happened to Mary, Mary. I knitted it in Tahki Cotton Classic. I bought the yarn and the booklet at a local yarn shop called Yarn It All on University Ave. It closed long ago. I liked that store because they carried Rowan (which makes me wonder why the Cotton Classic). Yarn It All was like a treasure trove.

I love all of this knitting stuff from the past. It is good to remember and think about your past knitting. I enjoy hearing about your past knitting, too.
Okay, go ahead and laugh.
Granny update: 84
Last update: 81
You know I think it's funny to share my pathetic square progress. It's so lame.
This scarf is not lame. I have started it about 5 times now. It is simple but I can't get the motifs connected correctly. I seriously can't figure out my problem. Ugh. I wanted to be like her but it may not happen for me. It is a beautifully written pattern, believe me it's just me. Lame.
One more thing, I have another hat pattern that I will make available on the blog very soon. I just have to wrangle my son to sit down for a bit to help me and that is no easy task. This is one of my favorite boy hats ever. It was inspired by a trip to Boston where everything I saw seemed to have a little red wagon on it. Thus it is named, Little Red Wagon. I know, clever.

I originally made this design for Itty-Bitty Hats and it didn't get in the book. There were probably over 20 hats that didn't get in the book for one reason or another.
I dream of writing another Itty-Bitty Hats someday. I should probably save these patterns with that in mind but then they are just sitting around unused. I'd rather share some of them now.

I have a couple of fun links for you: here and here. Love them both.

Hey, by the way, I am having a giveaway for the next post. Be sure to check back to see if you are interested in entering.

Good Wednesday, Knitters. It is a beautiful one.
best, susie
p.s. I forgot something important. The Itty-Bitty Nursery Trunk Show is off to a new location:
Woolplay

Nadine

22 N. Haddon Ave

Haddonfield, NJ 08033

nadine@woolplay.com

856.428.0110

Arrive: July 10

Depart: July 22

Be sure to check it out if you are in the area:)

13 comments:

Mrs. Hughes said...

Susan, I vote you print up all of the hat patterns that didn't make it into Itty-Bitty Hats and "publish" one w/o the publisher! :) It's nothing the local Office Depot can't handle! We'd all buy it from you! :) I am completely kidding, but fun thought, huh?

Anonymous said...

Can you believe you knit that sweater so long ago? Time sure does fly. It was a fun one!

Hilary said...

I am so happy your trunk show is coming to my fav. lys - Clever Ewe in Ada. Yay! You're always such an inspiration to me to keep learning and crafting. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Susan, I LOVE the red wagon hat! Can't wait to buy it once your son gets it online. I know with your creative mind, there will still be plenty more hats for the next Itty Bitty Hats book, when you are ready to put that out.

Debbie

Julie said...

I love that little wagon hat,very cute.

paws said...

I just bought your Itty Bitty Nursery book and think it's great! (Obviously...) Anyway, you've probably answered this question a million times before, but I was wondering if it's okay to sell things that I make from your patterns? I apologize in advance if the answer's obvious.

Susan B. Anderson said...

Hi Paws,
Thank you very much for asking. Actually, it is not okay to sell knitted items from my books and patterns or most other designers books or patterns. The designs are copyrighted material. So the answer is no.

I always allow knitters to use my designs for charity knitting of any kind.

It is always best to sell your own original designs, that way you know you aren't violating any copyright issues.

Thanks again for asking.
susan

paws said...

Thanks for the speedy response!

That's what I figured. ;)

peaknits said...

What a sweet little hat - I love it! And that sweater - I love your trips down memory lane- it's fun to see how your projects have evolved.

Betz White said...

I love your old knitting reference as I had much of the same. Only difference is that I never knit much from it!

Lisa said...

Susan--I have the Rowan book and love it. I knit one of the sweaters for my niece who is now 18. Great intarsia patterns!

OSA said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and I just had to post. When I saw you mentioned "University Ave" I had to check your profile! I grew up in Milwaukee WI and I went to UW-Madison! I am in the far away land of Australia now but I am always nostalgic for all things Madison! When you go to Union Terrace say hi to the colorful chairs from me! :)

Whitefish Bay Knitter said...

Oh my gosh-I too would hop on my Honda Spree and head over to "Yarn it all" when I was a junior in college at UW. I have not thought about that in a long time-thanks for the memory!