Thursday, February 28, 2008

Simply Put

Hi Knitters,
Sometimes the simplest statement is the best. I knitted this plain hat for a compilation book project but then at the last minute I submitted an entirely different project. The project for the book was to be completely monochromatic. I used a creamy Blue Sky Alpaca Organic Cotton and as always fell in love with this scrumptious yarn.
I knitted a little cup at the top. Originally there was a knitted flower inside the tiny cup and several knitted leaves circling the flower. It was cute but it was also very white, a little too white actually. This morning I pulled the hat onto my lap and removed the flower and leaves. As I scanned my messy studio (which I am making progress on cleaning by the way) my eyes rested on my felted ball collection. It is funny how things just happen sometimes. I realized by eye-balling the larger-sized ball that it would fit perfectly into the little cup. I plopped the ball in and sure enough, perfect fit. Next I took a sprinkling of tiny-sized balls and stitched them around the edge of the cup. The effect is wonderful, flower-like, colorful and yet still simple. I love this new hat. Wonder who will get this one?
This fabric is not simply put, instead it is a circus of color and pattern. I am using this fantastic collection of Anna Maria Horner fabric for lining some other book projects I am working on. I love combining knitting and fabric. I got this fabric in a bundle here. Ordering a sample bundle of fabric is excellent because you get to see the entire collection in small pieces. I make a lot of small projects so the amounts are perfect for me. Anna's collection is called Chocolate Lollipop and it is de-lish!
*warning: random thoughts ahead*
So, Knitters, I am working away the week still covered by mountains of snow, still feeling like it is the dead of winter. My husband and I were out running the other day and we heard birds chirping like it was springtime. Those birds must be crazy or something, it is pure winter around here. Maybe if I take down the paper snowflakes on my windows it will hurry spring along.
Different subject, a couple of days ago I turned on the morning news and Ann Hood was on msnbc talking about a political article she wrote about being in a bi-political marriage. Remember Ann wrote the novel called, The Knitting Circle (new out in paperback), which I read about this time last year. Anyway, it was great to hear knitting being referenced repeatedly on msnbc and Ann Hood is really cool. I met her last year in Lexington at a book conference. She has a new book coming out on grieving which I will be reading for certain. This woman has true insight.
Later that day, as I am desperately trying to get a workout in before the kids get home from school, I jump on the elliptical and turn on The Martha Stewart Show. Lo and behold the entire studio audience is knitting. For the life of me I can't remember exactly what the reason was behind this knitting because she had a guest on making sock creature stuffed toys. What was that knitting about? Martha was knitting along as well. Anyway, it doesn't even matter because it was a good day for knitting being featured on two national tv shows in one day. Go knitting!
A funny thing happened to me when I was getting a new pair of shoes for my Minneapolis trip a couple of weeks ago. The shoes were for an Itty-Bitty promotion trip and as the clerk handed me the receipt to sign she sweetly asked, "Could I get you to sign on the itty-bitty line?" I smiled to myself and said, "Sure."
Take care, Knitters.
best, susie

7 comments:

Betz White said...

I saw a commercial for that Martha show with all those knitters in the audience and thought of you! Maybe the producers will think about having you on???

Denise said...

Cute hat! I can't believe you still have all that snow, it will be another high 70's weekend here :-)

Anonymous said...

The little hat is gorgeous! The top is whimsical!

Helen said...

This is the girl who was on Martha Stewart http://mochimochiland.com/weblog/?p=250
Her patterns are amazing.

peaknits said...

"itty bitty" line - too funny! I was home sick on the same day and saw the Martha show after reading on a blog that the blogger was in the audience - it was karmic! I wish there had more knitting content, but then I also wish Martha would shut up and let her guests speak, we never did get to hear what the sequel book was about for the sock lady...just saying.:)

Knitterella said...

You should totally be on Martha, Susie! Would you ever want to do that? Gosh, if they saw the WONDERFUL projects books they would have you for sure!

Cute hat!

Alice Regan said...

Oh, I'm so, so happy to have found your blog. I love your work, and your books! Your little hat is so cute...very whimsical.

I hope that you won't mind, but I'd like to add your name to my favorites! I'm just a huge fan!